Need basic monitoring advice

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BStudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need basic monitoring advice

Post by BStudio »

I am using DP11, after last having DP3. Things have changed and my recall is hazy.

Some Logic and Studio One use in between. Casual user.

Issues:
Input monitoring.
-I can't hear my input (guitar) while in playback working on my parts, not recording.
It seems that this is normal on DP?
I have no recall one way or another from my old DP usage but it is not normal on Logic or S1.

There is no Master fader integrated into the control panel?
Did I miss something?
Likewise there are no mini-faders associated with each track in any view i.e. if working the MIDI edit window with tracks open adjusting any track level requires window switching to mixer mode?

Some aspects of DP are so slick, but did I miss something on how to set up track volumes outside of the main mixer?
Thanks for any info.
stubbsonic

Re: Need basic monitoring advice

Post by stubbsonic »

For input monitoring, go to the STUDIO menu and look for "Audio Patch Thru... " (it's near the bottom).

A setting of AUTO means you'll hear your guitar if you are stopped or in record, but you'll hear the recorded track (if any) if you are in playback. There are other options that you might find useful. I think they're self-explanatory.

As far as I know, the only Master Fader is in the mixer, but I may be wrong. There are individual faders for each track in the edit window. Select a track and you'll see a small horizontal slider in the upper left, along with a pan knob. I think if you select multiple tracks, you're only controlling the first track of the selected ones.

I use the fader on my hardware mixer, so I don't have to grab a mouse for volume control. But if having constant access to a Master Fader is needed, I think you can set something up and create a custom/default window set that will give you that. In any case, typing shift-m pops up the mixer, quick as you please.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
BStudio

Re: Need basic monitoring advice

Post by BStudio »

Thanks. I found the Audio Patch Thru options.
That helped!

I can pull off a fader window, shrink it, lock it and store it in a corner for MV access but that is a workaround to create what is a common feature. Odd.

Also, any idea why the Apple software synth is not controllable by the Master Fader?
And any way to display the UVI patch name in the tracks window?
Questions....I'll be back. :dance: