Is there a way to cross fade multiple edits at once?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FlikPat
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is there a way to cross fade multiple edits at once?

Post by FlikPat »

I spend so much time crossfading merges edges when editing drums. For certain things I have to nudge every single beat. Is there a way/command to highlight an area with multiple merged audio edges and create crossfades between them all at once?
HCMarkus

Re: Is there a way to cross fade multiple edits at once?

Post by HCMarkus »

Select the region on the track embodying your edits and crossfade one edit. Should be applied to all.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Re: Is there a way to cross fade multiple edits at once?

Post by stubbsonic »

Yes. I've done this often and it works well.

Let's say you have a selection range that includes fade-ins, fade-outs, and x-fades.

If you horizontally drag a fade-in handle, it will adjust all fade-ins, and widen/narrow all x-fades (fade-outs won't move).
If you drag the fade-in handle of a cross-fade it will do the same.

Likewise, if you drag a fade-out handle, it will adjust all fade-outs, and all x-fades (fade-ins won't move). Dragging the fade-out handle of a cross-fade it will adjust x-fades and fade-outs.

I mention all this because there's no way to only adjust the x-fades, without affecting either fade-ins or fade-outs (depending on which handle you grab). Weirdly, if you try to adjust your range selctions to not include the fronts or backs of some soundbites, the fade adjustments only work predictably with soundbites that are completely within the range. Knowing this, you can then go back and adjust any (x-)fades that may or may not have been part of your selection.

Fortunately, the visual feedback is accurate and helpful in seeing what is happening. However, you might want to be zoomed in to work with precision. With that in mind, do a little drag whilst zoomed out, so you can see what's affected. Then zoom in to make your final/precise adjustment.

TMI?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com