Advice

Share music created in Digital Performer
Forum rules
This forum is where you can post links to sound files of your projects created in Digital Performer in order to get feedback. You may also plug your band and announce live performances.
Louspatte
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Advice

Post by Louspatte »

Hello
I don't know if I'm in the right place, on the right foum?
I'm completely new to using Digital Performer on stage.
I would like to launch different MIDI or audio sequences on a piece from a Mac, and at the same time, play some of the music myself live.
My problem is that during the part I'm playing, the sounds used may change 1,2,3, or even 4 times during the song...
I've been advised and lent Irig BlueBoard to be able to do this.
Can this be done with Irig BlueBoard?
In general, how should I proceed, knowing that I'm talking about a concert where there are at least ten or so pieces during which I have to change sounds several times.
Each track also has different sounds...
More generally, what would be the procedure to follow to be able to play my pieces on stage, part of which would be audio or MIDI sequences that would start with the Mac with D Perforemer, and on which I would play in real life with different sounds for each piece.
Is this possible?
Thank you very much to anyone who can advise me.
All the best
Louspatte
stubbsonic

Re: Advice

Post by stubbsonic »

You can run audio & MIDI tracks from DP and you can play live along with those sequences.

There are a few ways to do this, and DP can control aspects of this pretty effectively. Is the form fixed, or do you want to change the form spontaneously?

You could add a MIDI track that sends MIDI Program Change (PC) messages to change sounds at the correct time while you play-- as long as the instrument you play (virtual or external) will respond to PC messages.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Louspatte

Post by Louspatte »

Dear Stubbsonic

Thank you very much for your reply.
The 10 tracks each contain around fifteen audio and MIDI tracks.
1/
On top of the Playbac playing live, there's a singer and me playing an instrument via a MIDI master keyboard.
2/
Do I have to convert all the MIDI tracks to audio tracks only?
3/
this process is repeated about ten times, each time a new track is started, as many times as the number of tracks to be played...

I've heard of "Chunks" in Digital Performer?

I'm at a bit of a loss because I've been using DP for about 20 years, but it's always been in the studio for film music!
The constraints of live performance make me feel like I'm starting all over again...

Louspatte
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

No need to convert MIDI to audio-- as long as you have everything configured correctly.

As you know, a DP project can contain multiple Sequences (which are Chunks). There are other types of chunks. Another chunk type you might find useful is a V-Rack-- which allows multiple sequences to use the same VI's and some other effects. Long story.

There are COMMANDS you can use to trigger things live. For example, you can assign a MIDI note or controller to start the sequence playback. You can assign a MIDI note or controller to play-enable the next chunk in the list. And many more.

There are multiple ways to do things in DP. If you have time, I'd suggest you do some tests, experiments, to make sure the workflow you choose will work for you--before you commit to setting things up more fully.

Just curious, what sounds are you controlling with your MIDI keyboard? Are they VI's or external hardware synths?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Louspatte

Post by Louspatte »

Dear Stubbsonic

The way I organise my work stems from my experience of working with music for images.
Most of the tracks I create are instrument tracks + associated MIDI tracks.
I use a lot of plug-ins: Arturia, the complete Native Instruments, a lot of Spitfire Audio, UVI, Izotope, Heavyocity, XLN...
I'm not going to mention them all, of course.
No external hardware synths.
From time to time, I transform one of the sounds coming from these plugs into an audio track with additional effects that I add to the audio track...
Then there's the vocal audio track, which is also loaded with effects.
In fact, live, the voice will have to go through the track with all its effects already set up...
I'm going to have to find some tutorials on YouTube because I'm not at all familiar with what you're talking about: Chunks, V-Rack...
I need to be able to manage it as quickly as possible.
Unfortunately, I don't have much time before playing showcases.
All the best