Anyone running motu with Ryzen?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Tombritual
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Anyone running motu with Ryzen?

Post by Tombritual »

Is anyone running motu with Ryzen chips successfully? I have. 2700x and I’ve been in a perpetual state of trouble shooting for 6 months
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Anyone running motu with Ryzen?

Post by HCMarkus »

Sorry to hear that. The AMD chips promise tremendous power for DAW use, what with their high core counts and performance/price ratio. Have you been talking with MOTU at all? Might be worth getting a conversations started.
Tombritual

Post by Tombritual »

I sent my interface back to them yesterday. Hopefully it was that.
alby54

Post by alby54 »

Me....unfortunately. I have a MOTU MK3 Ultralite running on a Ryzen 9 CPU and Win 11 Pro PC (USB connection). When I play and also when I listen to music on Youtube, audio is often noisy with pops and glitches but, worse than that, often sliding on pitch. The same interface was running on Win 7 and an Intel old CPU in a perfect way before I changed my DAW. In addition, 44.1 sample rate 16bit doesn't work with online music (Youtube, FB and so on).
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

There’s been a bit of noise about Ryzen over the years but little of it good regarding pro audio hardware. Apparently, it’s not a driver issue.

Finding a board on this not dominated by gamers who think there is no problem is difficult but this has a few suggestions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ ... ith_audio/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
timbraun

Post by timbraun »

Yes I am. Here's some systeminfo output:

Code: Select all

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
OS Version:                10.0.22621 N/A Build 22621
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
Original Install Date:     2023-02-09, 3:35:13 AM
System Manufacturer:       Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model:              B550M DS3H
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~3801 Mhz
BIOS Version:              American Megatrends International, LLC. F17b, 2023-02-08
It's a Ryzen 9 processor. I found running through a USB 2 hub was critical to get my 828x to connect reliably. I'm not super impressed with my latency numbers, normally running with a buffer of 512 samples to get audio with no clicks or dropouts. I have been using the 89606 drivers so far and just installed the 92178 versions.

It can be done, and it's workable but I'm not calling it beautiful.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

AMD 5900X CPU + Motu 16A (usb connected) here, Windows 10, 64 bit.

The bad: 1-3 times a week the soundcard goes into a mode where the output sounds metallic, as if there's something buffer related that's gone crazy. It has never happened to the input. Changing either sample rate or buffer size fixes the problem right away. Bying a brand new proper quality USB cable did not help.

The good: Apart from the above glitch, performance, stability and general experience is fantastic. And the CPU kicks ass too. So I'm gonna stick to this setup despite that issue.