Warning RE: UADx Update 8/8/23

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Warning RE: UADx Update 8/8/23

Post by James Steele »

Right. Problem is if you want to use Melodyne with DP or have full support for Console 1, you need to use the VST3 version of those plug-ins.

I also have one two plug-ins whose AU has problems in DP and using the VST3 fixes it.

I know a couple of Windows DP users and some Mac DP users actually shifting away from AU to VST3 because of the cross platform nature of VST3.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

did the ua update this morning and all the problems are back.... gonna delete the prefs and go to lunch... let's see if it works again.
roggie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by roggie »

Which prefs are you deleting?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... I made a couple of posts about this in the Plugin Updates Sticky Topic... to recap:

First one:
Don't know if this is an Apple Silicon thing or what, but this reminds me of when UADx were first released. I have several UADx plugs (perhaps all?) because I bought the Ultimate 11 bundle on sale a while back. I have crashed 10 times so far trying to get to a point where DP launches twice cleanly without "Gathering Info." In fact the initial AU validation is fine. It's on subsequent launches during DP's proprietary "Gathering Info" on the plugins phase, that it can't get all the way through the updated UADx plugs without crashing. I know eventually get them all to scan and I'll get through this. Happened last time. But what a pain!

For comparison, I launched Logic Pro X 10.7.9 and it steadily scanned all the updated UADx plugs without a hitch. For whatever reason it seems DP and UADx do not play nice together. I have reported this to MOTU. They need to put their heads together with UA and sort this out. :shock:

Then the second which might be more helpful. And note that if you press through the process until DP can launch twice in a row, then you should be okay from then on.
Okay… just to wrap this up. I tried a different strategy because simply launching DP over and over was not letting me get completely through the “Gathering Info” process on all the updated UADx plugins.

What I did instead is when I was fortunate to get just *one* successful launch I went into the Audio Plugins prefs and found several “failed” UADx AU plugs. That surprised me as when I first launched DP after updating UADx, the AU validation window appeared and it seemed to go through all the plugs. That validation is what I assume the “failed” status applies to, not DP’s “Gathering Info” process.

So I “re-examined” a handful of plugs at a time, then reinitialized MAS and let it “Gather Info” I suppose on fewer plugs at a time. I can’t be sure. It still crashed once but I did get though it. Something ain’t right. I don’t know if it’s just me, but don’t think so.
I think the problem is if DP has to "gather info" on them en masse, it will crash. This is definitely something MOTU needs to sort out.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

I thought it was fixed but it took several gatherings of these UADx plug-ins in order to properly launch Digital Performer 11 _

Otherwise, Audio Unit examination work fine but after ... :oops:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

corbo-billy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:47 pmOtherwise, Audio Unit examination work fine but after ... :oops:
Indeed. The AU validation part was easy. Something happens with DP's proprietary "Gathering info..." process. What's always interesting to me, is DP never is finished evaluating a plug on first launch after installing it. You launch once, it will do the AU validation. Quit DP. Relaunch DP. It will then do the "Gathering info." It's a two-step process and I don't know why.

As I mentioned also, just as a comparison, after updating all those UADx plugins, I launched Logic and Logic evaluated them all with no problem. There's definitely an issue where DP and UADx don't play nice. On UAs website they list DAW compatibility. You can guess what DAWs they test with:
• LUNA (theirs)
• Pro Tools
• Cubase
• Nuendo
• Logic Pro
• Ableton Live

Hmmm... what's missing from that list? The thing that's almost always missing from lists like that: Digital Performer. Such is the cost of what must be a smaller user base. On the bright side, at least Reaper isn't on there, either.
:mumble:

corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

With REASON 12, no problem but it's with the VST3 versions .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

corbo-billy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:29 am With REASON 12, no problem but it's with the VST3 versions .
Yeah.. that's why I tried it with Logic since it also uses AU.

Now I'm wondering what would have happened if prior to the update, DP was using VST3 as primary format for UADx. Maybe. it wouldn't crash on "Gathering info?"

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:31 am
corbo-billy wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:29 am With REASON 12, no problem but it's with the VST3 versions .
Yeah.. that's why I tried it with Logic since it also uses AU.

Now I'm wondering what would have happened if prior to the update, DP was using VST3 as primary format for UADx. Maybe. it wouldn't crash on "Gathering info?"
I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but I found the 1176 collection runs nicely in DP11 on my M1 Mac if I use the VST3 versions of the plugins. Each AU version passed inspection but, after being instantiated once in a project, then rebooting DP, was marked "Failed" and were not available to instantiate again.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

roggie wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:57 pm Which prefs are you deleting?
in the user account Library/Preferences/com.motu.MotuAudioSystem/Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit

and yes deleting it and letting DP do ALL the checking once again (with UA connect open btw)everything works fine. all fixed again.
hellcat

Post by hellcat »

I've also had problems with UA plug ins. Purchased $1000 worth of plug ins only to find out not one of them will work properly with DP. When I open a project that has the plug in, it just crashes, and refuses to open properly. I opened a ticket with DP's support, and they had the same thing happen as well, but in the end they were like "oh well.... nuthin' we can do". I reported it to UA as well, and asked them both to kindly resolve this.
Today's update of DP 11.3 did not address this issue in the info on the update, which is sad.
Let's hope DP adresses this issue, and posts some info for us who have purchased the plugins. Apparently they work perfectly with Logic and other DAWS, so why not DP? I may have to change over to Logic now after all....
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well this illustrates the YMMV principle if ever anything did.

Here I am on my Mac Studio running Sonoma 14.1.2 and all my UADx plugins are working just fine. I went though a rough patch initially validating them all, but once I got past that it's been A-OK. I have the Ultimate 12 bundle so I have several UADx plugs. I know that doesn't help, but for those reading this thread it's important to note that this is not happening for everyone, and changing over to Logic isn't necessary for all of us.

terencepalmer
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by terencepalmer »

The UADx plugins have been updated (at least the ones I have, with the possible exception of the free LA-2A). I can't find a change log.

I was in the "crashes all the time" camp, although I did manage to get the Studer A800 to be mostly stable. So far it seems stable, but I did get a few "Digital Performer has crashed" notifications without Digital Performer actually crashing, I think that only happened on the first launch after doing an install. The crash log doesn't mention UAD plugins like it did before.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Scanning Universal Audio plug-ins after updating them did not cause me to quit D.P. like after previous updates. :)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

corbo-billy wrote:Scanning Universal Audio plug-ins after updating them did not cause me to quit D.P. like after previous updates. :)
Good news! Still hesitant after my last bad experience, I updated them 3 or 4 at a time, then launched DP twice to scan them each time.

I found you need to launch and quit DP twice to fully scan new plug-ins. The first launch will do AU validation. That was never a problem with the UADx plugs. With the second launch, DP will then do its own “Gathering info…” scan of the plugs validated on the first launch. It was during this scan that DP used to crash for me.