Fine tune Audio I/O Timing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dado
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Fine tune Audio I/O Timing

Post by dado »

My are both on 0, must be different? Had some problem last time with the buffer on recording. Had too much latency too with the buffer on 16
iMac 27" 3 ghz 32 Giga ram / DP 11 / Motu UltraLite mK4/ TLAudio Ivory 5051 / Addictive Drum2 / PRS Custom22 Guitar / Boss Katana100 / Line 6 Variax700 / Strat by Tino Tedesco
wvandyck

Re: Fine tune Audio I/O Timing

Post by wvandyck »

Page 33 of the Digital Performer Getting Started guide available in the DP10 Help menu provides good information that maybe helpful to you.

More information about what you're doing may provide clues as to why you're experiencing latency when recording with the settings you've indicated.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
muxlow

Post by muxlow »

Resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one...

I'm using DP, a Motu 24Ao, an analog mixer, and an ART Tubeopto 8 (8ch mic pre) to make a loop from DP out to a mixer and back into DP. Here's the chain:

DP --> Mac mini -- USB --> Motu 24Ao --> Analog mixer -- Main outs --> ART Tubeopto 8 -- ADAT --> Motu 24Ao (it allows ADAT signals to flow in as well as out) --> DP

I wanted to see how much latency the loop to the mixer is introducing, so I ran a click track out to the mixer and captured it back in DP on an audio track. The recorded audio was about 5 samples past the measure. So far so good, and I could stop there.

But I decided to try Fine Tune Audio I/O and things got WEIRD. Nudging the Recording by 10 samples as recommended by pg 35 of the Getting Started guide resulted in the audio coming back more than 1/2 a beat late. There were also some very weird drop outs and other oddities I never really grasped. The whole system just seemed to freak out a bit. Setting it back to zero put right back where I was (which is fine).

Even after R'ing TFM, I'm at a loss. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? The manual mentions MIDI and I'm just working with audio...is that the issue?

Thanks!
Last edited by muxlow on Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

muxlow wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:55 am Nudging the Recording by 10 samples as recommended by pg 35 of the Getting Started guide resulted in the audio coming back more than 1/2 a beat late.
I recall having similar issues a while back. I never got the adjustments to do what the numbers said. A sample was never the length of a sample. Ten samples was never 10 samples or even 10 times 1 sample. I finally gave up and set it back to zero. Is it broke or was I doing something wrong? I dont know.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
crduval

Post by crduval »

I've spent a lot of time with these calibrations. Until I discovered them, I drove myself nuts sliding audio around to recover takes that were recorded right in the pocket but had shifted upon playback.

The audio recording latency calibration worked fine (where you loop back an audio sample and compensate), so my guitar and bass parts are now tight. I do seem to remember that this adjustment is dependent on buffer size, so I've sent my buffer once and haven't touched it since. I'm not sure if sample rate changes also require a recalibration.

But the playback latency calibration (associated with MIDI recording) doesn't work properly, if at all. No matter what corrections I make, this adjustment seems to be completely ineffective. It could be that my controller has too much jitter or something, although errors of 140-200 samples seems like a whole lot of jitter.

So I am still forced to manually edit MIDI recordings, which is painful since I record not only my keyboard parts, but also my drum parts live via MIDI. Rather than fixing just the obvious errors, I have to compensate for the general timing offsets, which change as the project grows in processing requirements. And I don't like quantizing, even playing with the strength and intensity features - it just never flows right for me.
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller