Motu M6 gain settings for pair of pencil mics

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
hidden_progeny
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu M6 gain settings for pair of pencil mics

Post by hidden_progeny »

Hi. Noob question here. I just bought an M6 to replace a Zoom H4N Pro as an interface for a matched pair of Rode NT5 condenser mics to record my piano playing in a spaced pair configuration. With the Zoom, there’s only one gain adjustment that applies equally to both mics but the Motu has independent gain knobs for each input. Does anyone know if there’s a way to ensure that the gain settings are the same for both mic inputs or if there’s a software that can tell me the exact gain setting of each input? My concern is that i want to make sure the relative loudness of the recorded inputs reflects what I actually play on the piano and not differences in gain settings. Thanks.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu M6 gain settings for pair of pencil mics

Post by mikehalloran »

Short answer: No. The M6 is not a recorder.

Slightly longer answer: Set the gain on both channels so that they are the same. As long as you have decent gain and plenty of headroom, the exact level doesn't matter. Resist the temptation to get the signal as close to zero as possible. You will cross into the red on a transient.

On the M6, inputs 1/3/5 are hard panned L and 2/4/6 are hard R over USB and into a stereo input of your DAW. Into mono tracks of your DAW, they will show up mono.

For one-slider control, set your DAW so that both mic channels input to a stereo track. They will automatically be R/L.

Also resist the temptation to use a limiter while tracking. Not only will this add latency but it will mess with your stereo field. During mixdown, do whatever sounds good, of course.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro