Latency problems in DP11???

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
macbethas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Latency problems in DP11???

Post by macbethas »

I take it back. I did have a limiter on the master track. Could not just disable it though, had to clear it altogether for the latency to stop.

Thanks for the good info!
Beth Schafer
www.bethschafer.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

macbethas wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:05 am Could not just disable it though, had to clear it altogether for the latency to stop.
AFAIK, bypassing an effect doesn’t disable it, just changes the signal path so you can hear things with or without and effect, or a track, etc. quickly without glitches,
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

macbethas wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:05 am I take it back. I did have a limiter on the master track. Could not just disable it though, had to clear it altogether for the latency to stop.

There are other ways to tackle this, but one "trick" I learned quite by accident is if you create more than one Master Fader in a project, DP recognizes the leftmost Master Fader on the Mixing Board and ignores one or more Master Faders to the right of it. So what I've experimented with is having TWO Master Faders at the very right side of the Mixing Board: one with my mastering type plugin(s) on it, and the other with only a Trim plugin (the reason for the Trim plugin explained later).

When I'm not tracking, my Master Fader with Ozone, etc. is to the left of the other Master Fader. When I want to track a VI, I swap positions of the Master Faders, making the one with only the Trim plugin the leftmost, thus it becomes the real Master Fader. I use the gain on the Trim plugin to boost the volume since when you switch from a Master Fader with a limiter on it to one without, there can be a drastic reduction in overall volume.
Last edited by James Steele on Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
macbethas

Post by macbethas »

thank you! Great tip!
Beth Schafer
www.bethschafer.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

macbethas wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:47 pm thank you! Great tip!
No problem. This kind of thing is exactly what I wanted this board to be when it started about 30 years ago! Users sharing knowledge/tips with other users so we can get the most out of DP. I know there are other ways to do this also. HC Markus has a method of his own that achieves the same thing. Perhaps he will chime in.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

So he will...

I just Clear the Mastering Plugin chain before tracking MIDI, then Restore.

Brings back all plugins and settings, regardless of whether they were saved in advance.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:14 pm So he will...

Brings back all plugins and settings, regardless of whether they were saved in advance.
That’s brilliant. Two brilliant ideas in one day on this forum. Maybe more to come. :dance:
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:14 pm So he will...

I need to try your method. I'm just paranoid that it won't work. I'll have to do a "Save As..." and convince myself that it will always comeback the way I left it. I suppose one could always save the effects insert chain prior to that if one is as paranoid about it as I am. Could also be dragged to a Clippings window too I suppose. (Clippings: there's an amazing DP feature that I know darn well I don't utilize anywhere near its full extent!)

Jimi

Post by Jimi »

James Steele wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:30 pm
macbethas wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:05 am I take it back. I did have a limiter on the master track. Could not just disable it though, had to clear it altogether for the latency to stop.

There are other ways to tackle this, but one "trick" I learned quite by accident is if you create more than one Master Fader in a project, DP recognizes the leftmost Master Fader on the Mixing Board and ignores one or more Master Faders to the right of it. So what I've experimented with is having TWO Master Faders at the very right side of the Mixing Board: one with my mastering type plugin(s) on it, and the other with only a Trim plugin (the reason for the Trim plugin explained later).

When I'm not tracking, my Master Fader with Ozone, etc. is to the left of the other Master Fader. When I want to track a VI, I swap positions of the Master Faders, making the one with only the Trim plugin the leftmost, thus it becomes the real Master Fader. I use the gain on the Trim plugin to boost the volume since when you switch from a Master Fader with a limiter on it to one without, there can be a drastic reduction in overall volume.
I just wanted to say a massive thank you for this. This trick has made the absolute misery of tracking with my MIDI guitar (where I either had to fight against ignoring the latency or turn down the fader till I can't hear any output from the VI) into a dream where I can actually hear what I'm playing. Saved my bacon over here!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

So happy to hear it helped!!