sticky residue on 828es knobs after removing from storage

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
wilkinsi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

sticky residue on 828es knobs after removing from storage

Post by wilkinsi »

After about 6 months of keeping my gear in storage, I opened my rackmount case to find the knobs on my 828es are sticky. The only other device in there is my power conditioner, which doesn't have this issue, although that still had the factory films on them. I removed those, and the ends of the retractable lamps are still fine. I tried some compressed air/foam, but that doesn't work. Any non-destructive suggestions?
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
Phil O

Re: sticky residue on 828es knobs after removing from storage

Post by Phil O »

If it's just the knobs, I'd try some isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball or gauze. If that doesn't work try denatured alcohol. Some plastics can be damaged by alcohol, but I've found that the short time it takes to clean something never has been an issue. It's difficult to know what the appropriate solvent is if you don't know the substance. I assume you've already tried soapy water, yes?

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Is the original surface of the knobs "rubberized" or hard plastic?

Assuming something has caused the material to break down, and lose its structural integrity; then perhaps "reconditioning" is the right approach.

The alcohol is worth a try, but test a small area first.

Maybe there's a rubber/vinyl conditioner, perhaps at an auto supply store. Not sure if it's worth buying a whole bottle, but perhaps you have a car nerd-friend with some tire spray like Armor All or similar.

I once tried to treat a dried up old drum pad with that stuff. Results were superficial.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

I was able to pull the knobs off, then spray them with foam air cleaner and rub them until the crap came off.
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
shiftupbeat
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by shiftupbeat »

Hi wilkinsi,

It sounds like your 828es knobs got sticky after storage. You might want to try using isopropyl alcohol (at least 70%) on a soft cloth to gently clean the knobs. Make sure to power off and disconnect your gear before cleaning. This should help remove the sticky residue without causing any damage.

Hope this helps!
Cruise into high-performance bliss with our top-rated motor collection, where power meets precision for an exhilarating ride. Explore our exclusive range of motors designed to elevate your experience to the next level.
rikkib

Post by rikkib »

I've had the same issue with various pieces of older gear, and it's generally down to the rubberisd coating. Isopropyl alcohol has always sorted it out for me, but it can take a bit of careful rubbing, depending how thick the rubber is. You end up with a gleaming shiny new surface by the end.
Apple M2 Max Ventura Logic Pro X M-Track 2x2 (hopefully an old 828 Mk2 FW if I can get it to talk!)