Retrospective MIDI record - yay!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Retrospective MIDI record - yay!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just saved my butt. Did a take. Nailed it. Forgot to hit record. Went up to the region menu and selected retrospective MIDI record and boom! Take papers.

This is so great. Edit/SMPTE track used to do that as well, but only when the transport was active. Now, even the transport doesn't need to be active. Holy cow! Great time saver for forgetful blocks like me. .
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Re: Retrospective MIDI record - yay!

Post by monkey man »

Agreed, Magilla.

The feature is one of the highlights I look forward to when I eventually buy v10. Wished DP had it for a long time now, so I'm stoked. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Yep my favorite unique to Logic feature that DP and others are kiping! :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:<<<Now, even the transport doesn't need to be active.>>>
How does DP 'retroactively record' if the transport wasn't running? I must be missing something.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Perhaps it assigns placement according to whatever the current BPM setting is, Phil?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

And another thing...!

Retro MIDI record works on the fly! Noodle. Keep the transport going, arm record on where you want the data placed and select retro MIDI and SLAM! You're tracked.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Just used it for the first time last night. My rehearsal run turned into a keeper. All I had to do was find the menu item.
MIDI Life Crisis

HCMarkus wrote:Just used it for the first time last night. My rehearsal run turned into a keeper. All I had to do was find the menu item.
Frankly, I've been using it a lot. I'll start a movie in DP, move to Finale to start playback of the scene (not via IAC or Rewire, but manually since the Finale method totally sucks) and I might play along or move to the next scene with the transport running in DP while watching the score in Finale. Then if i like what I've done, I'll go to DP and save the retro. No more "boo hoo" moments that I lost a take and I never have to worry about overwriting a previous take as long as I save to a clean track. :woohoo:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
plaukiu

Post by plaukiu »

Some observations on its behaviour.

Modes:
1. If transport was on, retrospective MIDI record will plant notes where they were played.
2. If transport was off, there are two sub-modes:
2a. if no time selected, plants at wiper.
2b. if time selected, plants at time selection.

Notes:
* Mode 2 does not override mode 1.
If you played when the transport was on, it will always plant at the exact time-position you played when the transport was on.

* It will plant in record enabled track, regardless of time selection, and regardless of what track you actually played on.

* If you undo retrospective record, the plant returns to buffer.
So in both modes, if you've planted on the wrong track : undo, select another track, retro record.
And in mode 2, if you've planted in the wrong time-position : undo, select another time, retro record.

* The buffer is reset when
mode 1: when you stop transport AND play notes
mode 2: when you start transport AND play notes

* It records tick positions, not absolute time.
If you change tempo before retro-record, it will not stretch the plant to new tempo.

---

I don't use multi-record, so I won't check its behaviour.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

plaukiu wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:53 am Some observations on its behaviour.
Great post. Thanks for sharing.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I totally forgot about that feature; thanks for the reminder!

I have exclusively been doing microphone-based live-instrument (and voice) recording for the past year, but once I wrap up these two albums I'm producing, I'll be returning to projects that involve MIDI-driven VI's and sample libraries, so this is great timing to remind myself of the new=ish Retrospective MIDI feature in DP. I can already foresee how it will save some pain!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
plaukiu

Post by plaukiu »

mhschmieder wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:32 pm I totally forgot about that feature; thanks for the reminder!

I have exclusively been doing microphone-based live-instrument (and voice) recording for the past year, but once I wrap up these two albums I'm producing, I'll be returning to projects that involve MIDI-driven VI's and sample libraries, so this is great timing to remind myself of the new=ish Retrospective MIDI feature in DP. I can already foresee how it will save some pain!
Yes, it is a great feature.
But keep in mind, it sometimes bites off a large chunk from the beginning of what you were playing, and I couldn't figure out what causes it.
I have lost a few lovely sections this way.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm Just saved my butt. Did a take. Nailed it. Forgot to hit record. Went up to the region menu and selected retrospective MIDI record and boom! Take papers.
When it first became a feature, I didn't think I would use it.. but I'm taking papers quite often now. It has saved a lot for me, including two song ideas that eventually made it to albums!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Love this feature but is it just me it only brings back MIDI notes no controller data?
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
andrewfez

Post by andrewfez »

Is there a way to turn this feature off?

Like if you select retrospective audio only, will it stop recording MIDI in the background?