Waves Free StudioRack v14 and VST3 Plugins and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Waves Free StudioRack v14 and VST3 Plugins and DP

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hi!

I saw recently that Waves' Free StudioRack v14, a plugin "chainer" that looks really flexible, will now load third-party plugins as long as they are in VST3 form.

I like the idea of a plugin chainer that would allow inline parallel processing, especially for virtual guitar effects- racks, etc.

And especially that you can mix them in parallel within StudioRack.

DP defaults to loading the AU version of plugins, which I am perfectly happy with.

I went to see which of my favorite plugins are available as VST3's, and quite a few (but not all) of them are, but enough of the ones I use with electric guitar that I want to try this.

I'm guessing it's the VST3 version of StudioRack I need to load into a channel to work with this, and then enable the VST3 versions of my plugins I want to use in DP preferences, but how does that work with DP?

Does DP start giving you a choice of which version (AU or VST3) of the plugin you want to use, or does it still default to the AU version?

Or can you make a folder of just your VST3 versions to use with StudioRack and have everything else default to AU?

And are AU plugins more compatible / less CPU-stress on DP than VST3?

What do people think?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
JSmith1234567

Re: Waves Free StudioRack v14 and VST3 Plugins and DP

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Well to answer my own question, StudioRack works really well.

One interesting thing;

In DP, loading the VST3 version of StudioRack crashed DP a few times.

Loading the AU version, it was fine, but then the AU version only loads VSt3s if you want 3rd-party ones.

This is all fine, but weird that a plugin that will load only VST3s only works with the AU version!

Again, not a problem at all.

It works terrifically in DP, and the AU version does everything it is supposed to do.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

JSmith1234567 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 am Loading the AU version, it was fine, but then the AU version only loads VSt3s if you want 3rd-party ones.

This is all fine, but weird that a plugin that will load only VST3s only works with the AU version!
That's kinda like the AU version of Komplete Kontrol. The plugin itself only opens VST3 instruments.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

James Steele wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:27 pm
JSmith1234567 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 am Loading the AU version, it was fine, but then the AU version only loads VSt3s if you want 3rd-party ones.

That's kinda like the AU version of Komplete Kontrol. The plugin itself only opens VST3 instruments.
Hey James as a guitarist I think you'd dig this!

Basically you can load 8 effects of your choice (3rd party too) in a parallel rack-mixer, with a bunch of assignable knob controls on the left side.

Kind of the old Rane SM-26 rack-mixer for the digital age?