Cannot record MIDI data with Akai MPK MK3 (RESOLVED)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
x55inc
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Cannot record MIDI data with Akai MPK MK3 (RESOLVED)

Post by x55inc »

Digital Performer 11.23+94363(latest)/Windows 11 23H2(latest)/Akai MPK mini MK3 1.26(latest)

I am trying to use the MK3 to play a virtual instrument and cannot hear any sounds or record any MIDI data. I am attempting to follow along with Tutorial 1: Recording MIDI in the Getting Started guide. I have also attempted to follow along with video guides on this channel. The MK3 shows as active and receiving input from the expected ports in the MIDI monitor (1 for the keys, 10 for the pads). It shows in the MIDI device section under Bundles. It does not let me edit it in this section. The button is not grayed out but nothing happens when I click it. I cannot set a MIDI event command. I can both hear sounds and record data with the "MIDI Keys" window.

I have tried downgrading Digital Performer to 11.22+94068 and Windows to 22H2 and the remaining combinations (11.23/22H2 and 11.22/23H2). I cannot find any instructions for downgrading the MK3 firmware. I have tried all USB (both A and C) ports on my computer and have tried all combinations of ports on my computer and a powered USB hub. I have tried MultiRecord off and MultiRecord on, using port 1 or 10 as the input. I have tried the Windows Audio and ASIO (via ASIO4ALL) drivers. I have tried most of the available VIs.

The MK3 works as expected in MidiOX, Reaper, and Ableton.

I have an i7-12700k processor, 16 GB of DDR-3200 RAM, and a Z690-P motherboard. I do not have a dedicated sound card. I have a 1 TB SSD that is ~80% full.

I am unsure what other troubleshooting steps I should take. I am very new to DAWs so it is possible I am missing something fundamental. My only DAW experience was at a music production summer camp this year, where we used DP10, but the camp was primarily focused on live instrument recording and editing. The only time I used a VI was for a drum machine track that I made in the Drum editor. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by x55inc on Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlzS

Re: Cannot record MIDI data with Akai MPK MK3

Post by CharlzS »

Check the setting on the MIDI Input Filter. Menu Setup --> Input Filter. Most boxes should be selected.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Michael Canavan »

The absolute first thing to do here is to uncheck MultiRecord, this changes all inputs to "Any". If it doesn't work with that setting you can eliminate my second paragraph here. Also do you have any other MIDI input devices? using one and making sure you can record MIDI at all into DP eliminates things like a weird setting in DP like what CharlzS posted above.

The MK3 presents itself as multiple inputs on Mac OS anyway, is it possible that you're choosing the wrong one?
You mentioned it's receiving MIDI on channels 1 and 10, but the ports might be the issue, and you could be choosing a published MIDI input source for the MK3 that does not input MIDI. In the input selections on Mac OS anyway, there's a subwindow called Unconfigured Ports, that's where the actual MIDI input ports usually are. Some control surface keybaords like the MPK series will publish internal ports as if you can use them, and you can't. Basically check to make sure you're using the right port.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
x55inc

Post by x55inc »

CharlzS wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:51 am Check the setting on the MIDI Input Filter. Menu Setup --> Input Filter. Most boxes should be selected.
Sorry, I had a feeling I was forgetting to mention something, but couldn't remember what. I have enabled all the buttons in the Input Filter and View Filter menus as suggested in the FAQ section of the Getting Started guide.
Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:59 am The absolute first thing to do here is to uncheck MultiRecord, this changes all inputs to "Any". If it doesn't work with that setting you can eliminate my second paragraph here. Also do you have any other MIDI input devices? using one and making sure you can record MIDI at all into DP eliminates things like a weird setting in DP like what CharlzS posted above.

The MK3 presents itself as multiple inputs on Mac OS anyway, is it possible that you're choosing the wrong one?
You mentioned it's receiving MIDI on channels 1 and 10, but the ports might be the issue, and you could be choosing a published MIDI input source for the MK3 that does not input MIDI. In the input selections on Mac OS anyway, there's a subwindow called Unconfigured Ports, that's where the actual MIDI input ports usually are. Some control surface keybaords like the MPK series will publish internal ports as if you can use them, and you can't. Basically check to make sure you're using the right port.
By "MultiRecord off" I meant I have tried with inputs set to any, sorry if that was unclear. I tried all the ports that do not show as receiving input in the MIDI monitor as individual input sources and they did not work. I do not have an unconfigured ports submenu, but as far as I know that has nothing to do with Windows 11 and is because I am not using a MIDI interface, but connecting directly.

Unfortunately I do not have any other MIDI input devices to test.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

What VI? What are you using for audio outputs?

The thing that throws me here is that you say MIDI Keys works fine, the Akai device shows up in MIDI Devices bundles and it show activity in the MIDI Monitor - you should be good to go if nothing filtered input out. Port 1, channel 1 for keys and channel 10 for pads would be normal. Try starting new empty session. Then Project --> Add Track --> Instrument Track --> pick one from the list. Track should have 'any' as input, whatever your audio mains are as output and should be record armed. Make sure you have a valid patch selected in the VI. You should be able to play the VI at that point. If you can play/hear it you should be able to record it.

Another setting to look at is MIDI Patch Thru. Easiest setting is Auto Channelize. With other settings you would not hear the VI, but the MIDI would be recorded to the track.

If that fails, download MIDI-OX and make sure the Akai is sending note data rather than control changes. The other DAWs you're using may have developed profiles that change modes, etc.
http://www.midiox.com/

OK - going through all this just reminded me: You DO NOT configure the Akai as a Control Surface in DP if you're using it as a MIDI keyboard. Remove the definition if you have it configured that way. Control Surfaces in DP are for transport and other functions and most do not play through as MIDI Keyboards. That would explain why you see MIDI activity in the Monitor, MIDI Keys works and the Akai doesn't.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by cuttime »

CharlzS wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:33 pm
OK - going through all this just reminded me: You DO NOT configure the Akai as a Control Surface in DP if you're using it as a MIDI keyboard. Remove the definition if you have it configured that way. Control Surfaces in DP are for transport and other functions and most do not play through as MIDI Keyboards. That would explain why you see MIDI activity in the Monitor, MIDI Keys works and the Akai doesn't.
Bingo!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
x55inc

Post by x55inc »

CharlzS wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:33 pm OK - going through all this just reminded me: You DO NOT configure the Akai as a Control Surface in DP if you're using it as a MIDI keyboard. Remove the definition if you have it configured that way. Control Surfaces in DP are for transport and other functions and most do not play through as MIDI Keyboards. That would explain why you see MIDI activity in the Monitor, MIDI Keys works and the Akai doesn't.
This was it! :woohoo: Thank you and everyone else very much for your time and help.