DP 11.22 now much slower to bounce tracks...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Kenny B
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 11.22 now much slower to bounce tracks...

Post by Kenny B »

I suppose my curiosity has caused this problem. I've been downloading different plug-ins and trying them out... now I'm suffering with a very slow bounce to disk, almost real time bounce when before if was nice and speedy.

I'm a bit embarrassed to even ask for help or suggestions because I am not able to figure out what is causing the problem or how to fix it. I have muted some tracks thinking that it would speed up things on a bounce to disk, but that did not work.

I also moved the project to my fastest hard drive... I thought there was a place where you could free up resources by muting tracks that were not being used.
2023 Apple Mac Mini Pro M2; 12 Core, 32 GB Unified RAM, Mac OS Venura 13.6.1, 1 TB SSD boot, DP ver. 11.3, Apogee Symphony II 8x8, Axiom 61 Controller, MachFive2, FabFilter plugins, ReLab VSRn24 reverb. Some really great acoustic guitars, Schoeps MK4s, Charter Oak E700 mic, 2 Great River preamps
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.22 now much slower to bounce tracks...

Post by HCMarkus »

Disabling (vs Muting) tracks may be what you are looking for. The little round button in the Track Overview that disables tracks can be hidden, so check your settings if it is not showing for you.

Muting is a real-time process; a track can be muted/unmuted during a mix using automation. As such, track resources must be online.

Disabling is another matter; best to disable/enable while your transport is stopped. Artifacts are to be expected if doing this while DP is playing back audio.
Kenny B
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Kenny B »

After rebooting my computer, I decided to try and "bypass" the plug-ins in the muted tracks. Doing so brought the system back to life. Now I am doing a plug-in bypass on anything that is not needed. that one thing helped speed things up tremendously.

I should explain the way I've been using DP to record acoustic guitar.... I'm not a power user.

I record two tracks with one guitar and then move on to another two tracks, completely different with different guitar, different tuning, different playing... nothing really is related to the first two tracks. I'll do this maybe 4 -5 time during a session of playing and recording, essentially documenting these takes to go back and listen for new ideas, innovation.

Since I found out recently that all my tracks in the past ions have been recording with Time and Phase issues, I started to go back and add Auto Align 2 to each track, then play the track to get things "fixed" and then remaster by bouncing to disk. It is a long, boring procedure and I wish I would have known this issue beforehand, however it's good to know that things can be fixed to some degree.

By adding maybe 8-10 instances of Auto Align 2, I bogged down the process and my once fast computer was acting like a thing from the past, maybe a trashcan Mac or prior to that. I thought that muting a track also muted the plug-in but maybe not in this case, need to bypass those not used instances of AA2.
2023 Apple Mac Mini Pro M2; 12 Core, 32 GB Unified RAM, Mac OS Venura 13.6.1, 1 TB SSD boot, DP ver. 11.3, Apogee Symphony II 8x8, Axiom 61 Controller, MachFive2, FabFilter plugins, ReLab VSRn24 reverb. Some really great acoustic guitars, Schoeps MK4s, Charter Oak E700 mic, 2 Great River preamps
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

These are all guesses since you haven't told us what you are doing, only the results you're getting.

If you're bouncing a large file to mp3, that can do it on its own since you're converting as you are bouncing. I discovered this under a deadline with a one hour live concert that took 45 min to bounce a few years ago and now use a 3rd party app to do the conversion in under a minute.

A corrupt audio header can be the cause. The solution is to strip and rewrite it. DP, QuickTime and AppleMusic can do this but there are apps that can batch-convert. If you do not generate the audio files, this is something to suspect. I use a lot of outside audio. One of the many reasons I work in 32bit float is that DP converts the headers on import. I bounce to 24bit but that conversion adds little to my BTD time.

Some plug-ins can slow the process by quite a bit even if they are disabled, mostly those with 'look ahead' functionality.

An old issue is that some plug GUIs will slow things down if the windows are open but won't if the windows are closed.

Other than that, there's just not enough information in your original post to have much of a clue.

If your signature is correct, you should update to Ventura 13.6.1. I would also update to DP 11.3 that dropped today. Lots of bug fixes in both.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It may not necessarily fix things, but DP 11.3 dropped today. I'd suggest updating either way. Many, many fixes and improvements.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!