Ideas for keeping our plugins and VI's up-to-date

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ideas for keeping our plugins and VI's up-to-date

Post by James Steele »

I'll add something else here. Toontrack's standalone apps like Superior Drummer 3, as an example, need to have the VST2 installed in order to run. Just found that out tonight. So going around deleting VST2s too carelessly can bite you. Luckily it was no big deal. I reinstalled the VST2 version and the standalone Superior Drummer 3 app runs just fine now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This is a good point. I just got a freebie plugin uninstaller, but I think I'll need to move cautiously with it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:31 pm This is a good point. I just got a freebie plugin uninstaller, but I think I'll need to move cautiously with it.
If that's the one from Wide Blue Sound, that would be good advice, as I’ve had very mixed results with it. I don’t use it anymore. I'd rather chase down files with Find Any File.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

cuttime wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:48 pm If that's the one from Wide Blue Sound, that would be good advice, as I’ve had very mixed results with it. I don’t use it anymore. I'd rather chase down files with Find Any File.
Yea. That's the one. They said they'd send a link. But I can ignore it.

I usually use Find Any File but one is always left to wonder if various system problems aren't cause by my foolishness.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just thought of this tonight. I would be great if PlugInfo added a column (the app might have to track this data itself) that showed the date/time a plugin was installed.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That would be useful.

As an aside, when I download some PDFs or installers, Mac OS only shows the date that I downloaded it regardless of the creation date. Weird.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:48 pm
cuttime wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:48 pm If that's the one from Wide Blue Sound, that would be good advice, as I’ve had very mixed results with it. I don’t use it anymore. I'd rather chase down files with Find Any File.

I usually use Find Any File but one is always left to wonder if various system problems aren't cause by my foolishness.
I got email from them about an update. The earlier version only worked with plugins that used an installer script, while the update deals with any plugins.

What was the problem you experienced? Would the update address it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:10 pm
stubbsonic wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:48 pm

I got email from them about an update. The earlier version only worked with plugins that used an installer script, while the update deals with any plugins.

What was the problem you experienced? Would the update address it?
I don't know if the update addresses this, but the older version would not recognize all of my plugins. It also launched a background process that was a total mystery to me.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:51 am I don't know if the update addresses this, but the older version would not recognize all of my plugins. It also launched a background process that was a total mystery to me.
I'd guess that mystery process was just the installation script being run in reverse as they claim. Plugins that were not installed by that process, perhaps simple drag and drop, would not be included, so my bet is the update does address it. But it isn't clear what it would do to safely uninstall those plugins other than just deleting them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8