MOTU and macOS Catalina

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU and macOS Catalina

Post by dewdman42 »

They told me MIDI express are still ok
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Phew! Thanks man. :dance:

That's two more units I won't have to replace then. Huge relief, brother. Hopefully this also applies to the Express 128 I bought 2nd-hand as a spare for emergencies many moons ago too. :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
jcdr89

Post by jcdr89 »

So, if I have a 2408 Mk3 with the PC1 424 it'll be compatible just installing those drivers?
jeffersonrossco

Post by jeffersonrossco »

Hello all,
I recently upgraded computers and very much want to continue using my MOTU Traveler.

When I download the most recent driver (Traveler Firmware
Mac v1.07 | April 5, 2006) I am given the following pop-up:

"You can't open...because PowerPC applications are no longer supported"

The most recent supported OS listed is 10.14

I am running 10.15.7 on a Macbook Pro Intel Quad Core

What are my options? I don't mind downgrading OS if necessary... However if there is a more recent upgrade for the Traveler, that would be great!

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jefferson
Jefferson
--
Mac OSX, Intel, Ableton, Traveler
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

jeffersonrossco wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:26 am Hello all,
I recently upgraded computers and very much want to continue using my MOTU Traveler.

When I download the most recent driver (Traveler Firmware
Mac v1.07 | April 5, 2006) I am given the following pop-up:

"You can't open...because PowerPC applications are no longer supported"

The most recent supported OS listed is 10.14

I am running 10.15.7 on a Macbook Pro Intel Quad Core

What are my options? I don't mind downgrading OS if necessary... However if there is a more recent upgrade for the Traveler, that would be great!

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jefferson
We need a sticky for this. MOTU has changed their downloads site and have made it confusing. They really, really don't want you thinking that they support older hardware (because they no longer do). The web site has been undergoing changes as recently as last week. Here's the latest:

Firmware and drivers are different. The last firmware update was 2006. Most units display firmware during startup and if yours displays 1.07, you're up to date. If yours is older, you'll need a PPC or an old Windows machine.

The Traver uses the same MOTU Audio Drivers as many other units including the Traveller-mk3. To find the Catalina driver, go to the Downloads page as you did before but select Traveller-mk3. You will see the Big Sur/Monterey driver listed but you don't want that.

You'll see a box under the picture of the Traveller-mk3 labelled VIEW ALL DOWNLOADS. Click on that to reveal the Catalina and other, older drivers.

Do I know that your 1st gen Traveller will work over Catalina? No but many of us have other discontinued interfaces working over later MacOS — Monterey in the case of my 828mkII.

Good luck!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:48 amWe need a sticky for this.
I made it a sticky. Hopefully that will help until I can find time to organize things a bit better. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Harbinger

Post by Harbinger »

First off, I'd like to thank James for keeping this site going so well. I have been a lurker since the Unicornation days and have really enjoyed everyone's insight. I started with Composer and Performer and have been tinkering ever since. Not professionally, but having fun anyway. I thought I'd registered long ago but alas I did not. Thanks all for all of your insights. Now to the reason I signed in: Yes you can run the original Traveler (and UltraLite FW) in Catalina. I had taken some screenshots and condensed them into one picture to show that but I'm not sure I can post the picture. No matter; it does work in Catalina using the MOTU Audio Installer 1.6 (83634). Hope it helps.
James Steele
Site Administrator

MOTU and macOS Catalina

Post by James Steele »

Harbinger wrote:I had taken some screenshots and condensed them into one picture to show that but I'm not sure I can post the picture. No matter; it does work in Catalina using the MOTU Audio Installer 1.6 (83634). Hope it helps.
Email the screenshot to me and I’ll upload and post it for you.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks. Here it is. If the graphic bleeds off the page you should be able to right click it and save it.

rafaelminari

Post by rafaelminari »

Hey, guys!

I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with Mojave 10.14.6 using a MOTU Ultralite MK3 (driver 1.6 83634 and firmware 1.07).
I'm having problems like glitches and sound interruption with a really high frequency noise that stops after some time. This problem happens all time without a pattern between the interruptions.

I sent the audio interface to the authorised assistance and there was not hardware problem detected.

Should I upgrade my OS from Mojave to Catalina?
Would this work?

Thank you so much!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

rafaelminari wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:35 am Hey, guys!

I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with Mojave 10.14.6 using a MOTU Ultralite MK3 (driver 1.6 83634 and firmware 1.07).
I'm having problems like glitches and sound interruption with a really high frequency noise that stops after some time. This problem happens all time without a pattern between the interruptions.

I sent the audio interface to the authorised assistance and there was not hardware problem detected.

Should I upgrade my OS from Mojave to Catalina?
Would this work?

Thank you so much!
There’s no firmware update listed on https://motu.com/en-us/download/#categ ... roduct=235 so I’ll assume yours is correct.

I do recommend installing the correct driver, however. Yours is way out of date
MOTU Audio Installer

Version: 73220
Release Date: July 1, 2017

Supported Platforms
macOS 10.14, macOS 10.13, macOS 10.12, Mac OS X 10.11, Mac OS X 10.10, Mac OS X 10.9, Mac OS X 10.8, Mac OS X 10.7, Mac OS X 10.6
There’s a later driver for Catalina but that’s found on the page for the UltraliteMk3 Hybrid.
https://motu.com/en-us/download/#categ ... roduct=251
MOTU Audio Installer

Version: 83634
Release Date: Jan. 2, 2020

Supported Platforms
macOS 10.15
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rafaelminari

Post by rafaelminari »

Thanks for replying :)

I tried to install the Version: 83634 for Catalina, but how I'm using Mojave 10.14 it was not possible to finish the installation.

So I tried install the version 73220 (MOTU Audio Installer 1.6 (73220).pkg), that is the indicated driver on MOTU's website for my macOS 10.14, but it doesn't work. The interface interface even play any sound.

Any ideia about what's happening and the solution?

Thanks for helping
rafaelminari

Post by rafaelminari »

Updating the situation:

Yesterday I made the decision to upgrade my macOS from Mojave to Catalina. The other tries didn't work, so I thought it was my last chance. I had some plugin issues, but it is ok now.

The MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid continues with the same problem, but I think the frequency that the problem appears is less.
I will continue trying to use this way and looking for alternatives.

If some you knows something that could help me it would be very nice.

Thanks guys!