Sonoma compatibility

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sonoma compatibility

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:35 am I'm experiencing some weirdnesses with Kontakt, Komplete Kontrol 3, and the MPC 2.1.2.
The MPC is just spiking in VSTi2 in Sonoma, KK is hanging DP11.23 on occasion, plus it and Kontakt are the likeley culprits in some DP has crashed messages that happen without crashing DP??? :smash:
I'm very suspicious of the new NI stuff. Especially Komplete Kontrol 3.0.0. It's getting roundly panned over at VI Control as bloated and slow. I installed Komplete Kontrol 3.0.0. and have been getting CPU spikes in some of my projects with instances of KK. The bad part is going backward is difficult. It was a week or so ago that it was released, and probably the only way I could get to normal is to go back to an APFS snapshot, but that's going to affect other things I installed.

I tried just restoring the old 2.9.4 Komplete Kontrol plug and app last night, but the way it scans installed plugs is affected as well, so it was not a success to do it that way. I'm going to have to just tough it out I guess and wait for 3.0.1 or whatever for NI to work the kinks out.

Also, Ozone 11 was spiking on me, too. Ugh. Might just be I had to many plugs on the master bus... the old single core bottleneck biting in me in the butt. That said, thinking of going back to Ozone 9 Elements during early stages of project because it has a much lighter CPU hit.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:35 am I'm experiencing some weirdnesses with Kontakt, Komplete Kontrol 3, and the MPC 2.1.2.
The MPC is just spiking in VSTi2 in Sonoma, KK is hanging DP11.23 on occasion, plus it and Kontakt are the likeley culprits in some DP has crashed messages that happen without crashing DP??? :smash:
Still on Ventura here. I've had this as well since Kontakt 7.6.0, and MOTU has pretty much confirmed this. There is now a 7.6.1, but reports at VICtl are that it is virtually unusable.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

@cuttime and James, yeah NI have always been a mixed bag, I love the Kompltete Kontrol s88mkII here for the light guide, not so much for the preset browser. The fact that I get 592 matches for Synth Analog because NI think Analog and Short are the same type of attribute is beyond stupid, plus if you go to the software and command select both Analog and Short it adds more presets to the list instead of taking away all the ones that do not include both descriptors. This is counter to any other preset browser out there, including their own built in ones in their plugins. :banghead:

Plus, I was all excited about Komplete Kontrol making browsing Reaktor patches easy, not really, in most cases you can't even browse an Ensembles built in patches when it's instantiated in KK. It's just frustrating watching a company spin it's wheels with great ideas poorly implemented.

Again, KK is well worth it for the light guide in Opus and Kontakt libraries, plus the DP control surface integration is absolutely fantastic! James if you haven't figured this out yet, DP is super smart with selections in DP with Multi Record on. I have three other controllers that I use all the time, an MPE Linnstrument, the Akai MPC Live II, and the Beatstep Pro. All three of them can be assigned to specific tracks since they're mostly specialty controllers, so up to two MPE synths can be assigned to the Linnstrument, and the MPC hardware controls it's own drum plugin etc. then the rest of the tracks can be assigned to the s88mkII and DP will ignore the tracks not assigned to the s88 allowing the mixer in the s88 to automatically switch arming the various tracks with the s88 assigned. So all the advantages of not being in multi record without the disadvantages of being only able to arm one track at a time.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah. I have an S61 Mk2, but I’m looking to buy a used S88 Mk2 just to be able to access all zones on some Kontakt instruments at once. Prices are falling through the floor because of the Mk3 announcement.

That said, very disappointed in Komplete Kontrol 3.0.0. I tried piecemeal reversion to 2.9.4 but it was a mess. I’d have to roll back to an APFS snapshot of my boot drive. Since I’m not operating a commercial studio, I’m going to just suffer through it until NI fixes these issues.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Here's a link to the thread at VI Control in case anybody is looking for it:
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... ot.144521/

I'm really regretting updating to Komplete Kontrol 3.0, but I'll have to now just ride it out.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Here's a post with a link to the Komplete Kontrol 2.9.4 installers for Mac and Windows. Maybe I'll try running that and see. Ugh. Someone did mention that they restored a database file from a back up and that made reverting to 2.9.4 work.

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5420963

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:31 pm Here's a post with a link to the Komplete Kontrol 2.9.4 installers for Mac and Windows. Maybe I'll try running that and see. Ugh. Someone did mention that they restored a database file from a back up and that made reverting to 2.9.4 work.

Could you post the direct link to the NI download? I'm currently banned from VI-Control! (Spitfire owner controversy, and I posted a link to the article about him stepping down, that was enough I guess) :deadhorse:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:
James Steele wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:31 pm Here's a post with a link to the Komplete Kontrol 2.9.4 installers for Mac and Windows. Maybe I'll try running that and see. Ugh. Someone did mention that they restored a database file from a back up and that made reverting to 2.9.4 work.

Could you post the direct link to the NI download? I'm currently banned from VI-Control! (Spitfire owner controversy, and I posted a link to the article about him stepping down, that was enough I guess) :deadhorse:
Here’s the direct link to MacOS dmg:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pwnb9K ... drive_link

BobK

Post by BobK »

In an October blog post, Blue Cat Audio said they thought that Sonoma resolved some problems with audio in multi-core Apple Silicon macs.

In a November 6 update, they retracted that and said the issues remain:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... ore-magic/

Anybody here had audio performance issues in Sonoma with DP?
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah. I posted a topic about that which nobody saw I guess.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73599

Sonoma has been okay for me. I’m on 14.1.

BobK

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:30 am Yeah. I posted a topic about that which nobody saw I guess.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73599

Sonoma has been okay for me. I’m on 14.1.
Missed that. You are ON IT! :D

Glad to hear Sonoma is working well for you.

Don't know why, but this time I'm eager to update instead of staying at least one OS version behind, like I usually do.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I see that macOS 14.1.1 dropped yesterday. More bug fixes.

Ventura is still 13.6..1
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:I see that macOS 14.1.1 dropped yesterday. More bug fixes.

Ventura is still 13.6..1
Mmm. I need to do that. Although I get worried that if I upgrade to 14.1.1 I can’t use an APFS snapshot of my boot drive created under 14.1 to roll back?

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Wow. I'm seeing a significant reduction in boot time on my M1 Mac Mini after this update. About 15 seconds from power button to log-in screen now vs about 30-35 seconds before.
Might have something to do with Bluetooth. I say that because it had me do some stuff to re-establish connection to my wireless keyboard at the end of the install.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:34 am.

I get worried that if I upgrade to 14.1.1 I can’t use an APFS snapshot of my boot drive created under 14.1 to roll back?
Per my conversations with Apple, that is correct.

APFS Snapshots still works for the non-OS volume as I have found out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro