Bouncing audio with no interface

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Bouncing audio with no interface

Post by Chris T »

But of a rookie question:

I currently work in DP11, but this applies to any DAW. I use an Apollo Quad interface attached to my new M2 Mac Studio.

I'd like to have my assistant do audio editing and bouncing of new mixes / edits on a separate MacBook Pro (also running DP), though I don't have any audio interface at all for this computer.

The rendering is 100% "in the box", working with audio tracks only, and using just the plugins hosted within DP. With these parameters is there any difference in audio quality OF THE ACTUAL AUDIO FILES if just the Mac default "built In" speakers is the the Audio In/Out selection? He'd be using high quality headphones to monitor, so I'm hoping aural resolution would be good enough.

Could I get away with just MAC "built in" for the purposes of bouncing audio, monitoring with good headphones? And would the audio file quality be the same as if I used a dedicated high quality audio interface?

Thanks,
C
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bouncing audio with no interface

Post by James Steele »

Seems like so long as the audio format you are bouncing to is the same, it would make no difference. Math is math, right? The only difference would be in perhaps the quality of the digital-to-analog conversion, but since there are no critical listening/mix decisions being made, seems like it shouldn't be any problem at all.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bouncing audio with no interface

Post by mikehalloran »

Chris T wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:34 pm But of a rookie question:

Could I get away with just MAC "built in" for the purposes of bouncing audio, monitoring with good headphones? And would the audio file quality be the same as if I used a dedicated high quality audio interface?

Thanks,
C
As long as no one makes any of the rookie mistakes, the usual one being not enough headroom in the individual tracks, you'll be fine.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro