Can anyone confirm they have a Motu 828es USB connection working with Mac Mini M1 Monterey

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Limit54
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can anyone confirm they have a Motu 828es USB connection working with Mac Mini M1 Monterey

Post by Limit54 »

All I’m getting is people saying “it should work” but nobody saying it does for sure

Anyone out here using it over usb and if so how did you get it to work?
HCMarkus

Re: Can anyone confirm they have a Motu 828es USB connection working with Mac Mini M1 Monterey

Post by HCMarkus »

In your other thread, I made a mistake in saying Pro Audio interfaces supported current macOS. While M2/M4 and a few others are compatible with macOS 12, MOTU.com advises us that the Pro Audio interfaces are currently compatible with no version of macOS after macOS 10.15.

As noted in that thread, I have posted a TechLink on the MOTU website requesting information with regard to Pro Audio interface support for M1/M1 Pro/M1 Max.
Limit54

Re: Can anyone confirm they have a Motu 828es USB connection working with Mac Mini M1 Monterey

Post by Limit54 »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:06 am In your other thread, I made a mistake in saying Pro Audio interfaces supported current macOS. While M2/M4 and a few others are compatible with macOS 12, MOTU.com advises us that the Pro Audio interfaces are currently compatible with no version of macOS after macOS 10.15.

As noted in that thread, I have posted a TechLink on the MOTU website requesting information with regard to Pro Audio interface support for M1/M1 Pro/M1 Max.
Thanks boss👍
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Just got a TechLink Response from Matt at MOTU
Matt Batson has posted a response to your MOTU TechLink.
Hey Mark,

Thanks for reaching out and for updating the ticket here. Our MOTU AVB Pro Audio line is fully supported on macOS Big Sur, Monterey, and new M1-based Apple machines for sure. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best,
Matt
And I think I missed this the other day, what with the new Downloads Page layout:

MOTU Pro Audio Installer (Mac v89606)
macOS 10.15, macOS 10.14, macOS 10.13

MOTU Pro Audio Installer (Mac v89555)
macOS 12, macOS 11

As Mothra noted, the higher-numbered driver is for older versions of macOS. 895555 is required for macOS 11 and 12 (which would include all Apple Silicon Macs.

SO... my initial impression WAS correct; The Pro Audio interfaces ARE supported under the latest macOS and Apple Silicon.

OP: Reach out to MOTU, as previously suggested.
Limit54

Post by Limit54 »

Works now. I downloaded the new drivers from a different place and usb now works.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Winner! Thanks for reporting back :smash:
Chazmati

Post by Chazmati »

My 828es was working with USB on my M1 Mac Mini under Big Sur, but now that I've updated to macOS 12 and new drivers I get driver crashes every 15-20 minutes. I'm working through the process with MOTU on this - no answers yet. It's almost unusable. High-pitched noise in the output, audio interface disappears from the system, then it resets and comes back and apps switch back to the 828es. Sometimes when it comes back there's a high-pitched distortion/echo on audio.

Thunderbolt has never worked for me - It works for a few hours, then I get a hard crash - kernel panic/black screen/reboot with a prompt to reinstall macOS. Scary when it happened the first time, but unplugging Thunderbolt from the Mac Mini and rebooting works great, like nothing ever happened.

Anyone having any issues like this? I haven't looked too much in the forums, just joined and saw this topic and had to share.
Limit54

Post by Limit54 »

Same my 828 disappears every once and awhile.
davenpom

Post by davenpom »

Chazmati wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:10 pm Sometimes when it comes back there's a high-pitched distortion/echo on audio.
Admittedly, this is very discouraging as I currently own an older 828x and started having these "echo" issues when back when I upgraded my MacOS to Mojave (if I recall correctly). Seeing that MOTU interfaces are still suffering from this problem, which is very disruptive, I may have to consider moving on and exploring another brand, though its a great value with lots of nice features. I need to consider updating my system and that includes my audio interface, storage devices, etc. This ongoing issue gives me pause.