828es and Mac OS 14 Sonoma

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
wilkinsi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828es and Mac OS 14 Sonoma

Post by wilkinsi »

Hi,

I was told by MOTU Support that DP11 and my 828es are compatible with Mac OS 14.0. I downloaded/installed the via latest version of DP11 and that appears to work, except it does not see the 828es anymore. There is no Mac OS 14.0 driver listed on MOTU's site.

Well, I upgraded to Mac OS 14.0, and immediately found my 828es, although seen in the Mac's System Report as connected via Thunderbolt or USB (yes, I tried both) is not seen in the audio selection dropdown or System Settings > Sound. In fact, the only time the 828es is seen is when I connect via Ethernet. If I run the MOTU Pro Audio Installer, it too can't detect the 828es via TB or USB, but the updater will see it via Ethernet. I also notice the 828es flip it's clock to Word In and sample rate to 48,000hz when I have always used 44,100hz. I have to fight to get back to Internal Clock at 44.1k. Trying to update the 828es' firmware doesn't appear to work, as the 828es does not reboot after going into update mode.

So, have I completely shafted my 828es? I am seriously wanting to backdate my OS to 13.6 and running Time Machine to recover my last backup. Is this a good idea, or am I wasting my time?

I am using a 2018 Mac Mini with i3 quad core processor and 8GB RAM. DP11 Projects running from external 2TB SSD.

Thanks in advance.
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: 828es and Mac OS 14 Sonoma

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... I wish I could help. I'm having no issues with my 828es, but then I'm on Apple Silicon, so maybe that's the difference? I'm using latest MOTU drivers (although I'm pretty sure I installed them back when I was on Monterey (or maybe Ventura). I'm really not sure if Sonoma is a good idea for Intel Macs.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

It is my intention to upgrade to an M2 Mac Mini, although I am struggling to get there for financial reasons...
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
oneway

Post by oneway »

I'd try a Time Machine backup and see if that fixes it.

This might be completely unrelated but I had an 828es acting like that earlier this year. Support had me try different computers and using USB instead and none worked, until eventually it just started rebooting by itself over and over and they had to give me a warranty replacement. Unfortunately because they don't do any in-house repairs I'm not really sure if there was ever a real diagnosis of what happened, why, and how to prevent it in the future...
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

Vut a long story short: I was forced to wipe the SSD and reinstall Mac OS Mojave, then upgrade to Ventura. However, when I ran the Time Machine backup, it hadn't completely restored everything, and I've had to download/reinstall a few things. Because I forgot my apple ID password, Apple made me wait TWO weeks to reset it.
MOTU 828es