Cuemix Issue

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
MWD
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Cuemix Issue

Post by MWD »

Hello guys,

Thanks for the add. So I've been using an old soldier, MOTU 24 I/O, 424 card with Nuendo 12 for almost 30 years. Yeah, it's old, but has been pretty solid all this time. Anyhow...

I am using Cuemix to send separate mixes to my Behringer Powerplay headphone amp, which sends the mixes to each persons headphone mixer.

Here are 2 problems that I have to deal with.
1. At times, Cuemix just freezes up, I close it out, reboot it and it's back up running.
2. I have to go in and "mute/unmute" the selected channels per each instrument before the signal passes thru from Cuemix to the OUT's of the 24 I/O.

Example: I have channels 1-11 for my drums. In Cuemix, I have unmuted all of these channels, and muted the rest from 12-24. These are setup for MIX 2 in Cuemix and the paired outs are 3-4. If my drums show a signal out, I'm good.
However, no signal flow, then I have to "mute/unmute" for signal.

This seems to be an inherent issue that happens more often that not. I can always count on my stereo pair of piano channels on 13-14, (MIX 3, OUT's 5-6) to be an issue.

So now, I make it a habit of just going thru each Cuemix MIX's and to the "mute/unmute" for each mix.

My question is, has anyone else, experienced this problem, and if so, what was your fix for it?

Thanks all,
Mark Dalzell
LV, NV
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cuemix Issue]

Post by mikehalloran »

Not enough free RAM is the problem and a memory leak is the most likely cause. Can be anything from a plug-in to an app or web page. That a reboot fixes one of the issues is confirmation.

How often do you reboot? If daily, try doing so before a session. Close any apps you aren’t using including your browser.

Check your RAM. Does the System Report agree with the amount you have installed? If not, you have a bad stick that needs to be replaced. Can you add more RAM or are you maxed out?

Other than that, there’s not much to do on an old system. You should reseat the 424 card but that is unlikely to help. There are tools that can help find memory leaks but good luck with that. Update your apps and plug-ins to the latest versions that will run.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MWD

Re: Cuemix Issue

Post by MWD »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the reply and your answer. I investigated the RAM and CPU amount/usage while using my DAW.

My specs:
Intel Core i7-6900K - Eight Core 3.2GHz Processor
64GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory - Quad Channel Performance (4 x 16GB)

Task manager results (DAW with a project opened and running)
CPU = 9% 3/98 Ghz
Memory - 11% 6.7/63.8 Ghz

I have more than enough CPU and Memory for this DAW as you can see by the Task Mgr. results.

I have now found what the issues are with Cuemix, and best to fix them.

1. At times, this program just freezes up. Just happens on occasion. Close it out, reboot, works fine.

2. There is as bug in this program (Cuemix) that I have found.

For every MIX setup in Cuemix i.e. 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, etc. the signal that should be present, is not "active" until you "mute/unmute" the main outs for each mix.
Once you do this, the signal is now present, and is bussed to the assigned OUT's from my 24 I/O to the Behringer Powerplay headphone distribution amp and onto the individual mixers.

I can not say whether this is an isolated incident with just my box, or if anyone else has had these issues.
I hope this information con be useful to anyone else experiencing these problems. Frustrating, but fixable...

Kind regards.
Mark Dalzell
Las Vegas, NV
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

At times, this program just freezes up. Just happens on occasion. Close it out, reboot, works fine.
That is the classic symptom of not enough free RAM.
I have more than enough CPU and Memory for this DAW as you can see by the Task Mgr. results.
That tells us nothing. How much free RAM is available when CueMix has frozen? If you are unable to get that report, the answer is easy: None.
I can not say whether this is an isolated incident with just my box,
Nobody can without knowing your OS, version and the exact MOTU drivers that you have installed. There have been many updates over the last 20 years.

CueMix resides in the 424 card's firmware. It's the first version and cannot be updated. The drivers provide a GUI so that you can access it. Your other issue may be driver related or not—no way for anyone to guess without more information from you.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MWD

Post by MWD »

The end result is all that matters.
This being the problem has been solved.
Over and out.