Consoles... remember?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Consoles... remember?

Post by SMS »

I Recently found myself wishing for a MIDI plug-in for I reason I now can't recall.. and then I remembered Custom Consoles. What a great feature.

Not sure why, but at some point I guess I needed them less than before, so haven't used them for a while. Used to rely on them heavily- I built one that controlled virtually everything on my VS-880 that really streamlined my workflow back in the late 90's.

I've been working with them a bit again, to control/visualize virtual B3 functions. I had built this one for my (hardware) Viscount Legend, which worked great.
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 10.16.44 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 10.16.44 PM.png (180.42 KiB) Viewed 619 times
In trying to update it to work with a VI, found it to be a bit buggy, causing crashes when trying to change assignments for a control, etc. I also discovered that some problems I was having recording and playing back CC data were likely caused by some old consoles I had in my default doc, even though they weren't open in the Project.

All this to say that this is a great feature that seems to have not gotten much attention in recent versions. I really hope it's not orphaned; in fact, it would be great if they could be enhanced to be able to used as a custom MIDI plug-in instead of the way they work now.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Consoles... remember?

Post by stubbsonic »

I'll confess it's one of those features (like song mode) that I don't use, but am glad it's there.

Though it might be neglected in terms of stability and appearance, it is super powerful and flexible. It's totally 14-bit friendly, too.

Thanks for reminding me.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com