Simulating up-strum and down-strum on guitar chords in MIDI.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Simulating up-strum and down-strum on guitar chords in MIDI.

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:06 pm But to play devil's advocate....

In one scenario, let's say (hypothetically) we had a gtr to MIDI converter that did an effective job of capturing velocity and duration on the all 6 strings independently (a la divided pickup). And we captured, a reasonably complete selection of strumming gestures.

It could be kind of fascinating to hear non-guitar sounds strummed with kind of guitaristic gestures. It would be especially cool if the instrument (whatever it is) had some way of adapting to the upcoming strum business.
Hypothetical indeed. Gtr to MIDI is plagued by latency, often latency that differs by frequency, that makes it pretty much impossible to capture a performance properly.
With all the pickups and versions I had, I could only ever get a reasonable approximation by playing octave up, and that presents its own problems.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You're 100% right. Latency (and even greater with low notes) and probably worse with all the non-pitched noise going on.

I wonder-- if it was non-realtime processing, perhaps using some spectrum analysis (a la Melodyne DNA)-- it could be converted in some useful way.

I have to imagine someone has wasted some amount of their life on this.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:06 pm But to play devil's advocate....

In one scenario, let's say (hypothetically) we had a gtr to MIDI converter that did an effective job of capturing velocity and duration on the all 6 strings independently (a la divided pickup). And we captured, a reasonably complete selection of strumming gestures.

It could be kind of fascinating to hear non-guitar sounds strummed with kind of guitaristic gestures. It would be especially cool if the instrument (whatever it is) had some way of adapting to the upcoming strum business.
I concur. OTOH, their's nothing like real fingers on real strings. As a keyboardist, I am jealous of the range of expression available to guitarists. But then I pull out my breath controller and the pain subsides...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:28 pm I concur. OTOH, their's nothing like real fingers on real strings. As a keyboardist, I am jealous of the range of expression available to guitarists. But then I pull out my breath controller and the pain subsides...
I've played guitar for about as long as I've played keyboard/piano in years, but have logged more hours on guitar, and even more hours on bass guitar. A not insignificant number of hours has elapsed on trombone as well. Dynamic expression is not something I will ever take for granted.

I enjoy using a B.C. very much, but getting the air flow to feel right is a challenge. Trying this plumbing diverter.

BC.png
BC.png (201.23 KiB) Viewed 769 times
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I can’t imagine where you plug that in.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The TEControl is on one side of the diverter. I blow in the tube, the air vents out the other side of the diverter. I use a USB extension cable (female A to male A)-- to plug it in.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:58 am The TEControl is on one side of the diverter. I blow in the tube, the air vents out the other side of the diverter. I use a USB extension cable (female A to male A)-- to plug it in.
Wow. Looks like it will work, but definitely a bit unwieldy.

Do you know the TEControl mouthpiece has a valve you can adjust to allow air to bypass the tube...
The mouthpiece has an adjustable bleed valve similar in concept to that found on the famous - and now discontinued - Yamaha BC3 breath controller.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I got my TEControl before they had that kind of mouthpiece. The one I got had a plastic aquarium valve. (Mine was used, so it had extra flavor-- j.k.)

I had been holding out for the longest time to get a Photon. But that project appears to be on indefinite hold.

https://mailchi.mp/3a821ede1de9/photon

Heavy sigh, alas.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:00 am I got my TEControl before they had that kind of mouthpiece. The one I got had a plastic aquarium valve. (Mine was used, so it had extra flavor-- j.k.)

I had been holding out for the longest time to get a Photon. But that project appears to be on indefinite hold.

https://mailchi.mp/3a821ede1de9/photon

Heavy sigh, alas.
I bet they'd send you a replacement with the bleed valve for not too much... OTOH, your contraption could certainly be a conversation piece in the studio. And it probably works just fine.

The bleed valve is, IMO, essential to get the best from a BC.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, that plumbing diverter is just a bleed valve. What you can't see in that image is that it is purposefully tilted for effective drainage.

Yikes, we got off track, didn't we?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:20 pm...it is purposefully tilted for effective drainage.
Ewwwww!!! Hahahaha!!! :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

So this is a real thing! I thought it was a happy hour joke. Plumbers have to learn MIDI now.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:15 pm
stubbsonic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:20 pm...it is purposefully tilted for effective drainage.
Ewwwww!!! Hahahaha!!! :lol:
As we brass players like to say-- "it's mostly condensation.... condensation with some spit in it."