Easiest way to make the click track do double time

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Easiest way to make the click track do double time

Post by Killahurts »

I have a song that is in 48bpm, and I want to keep it as that for arrangement reasons. But the performer I'm recording practiced the part with a metronome at 96bpm, and needs to hear that from the click track while we record. I looked in the preferences under click track defaults, but I don't want to set any defaults, it's just for this one project. Any suggestions? I could swear I used to know this..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
rickorick

Re: Easiest way to make the click track do double time

Post by rickorick »

What I have done is print the click at 48 then copy it to another track and move that track over an eighth note and now it’s double time. Easy no thinking.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Thanks! Yes that would work, and it may come down to that.. but I'm hoping for a more elegant solution.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
joelkk
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by joelkk »

If you are using the conductor track for your tempo, you can go into the Event List, make sure you're on the conductor track and add a Click Change from the drop down menu. Specify what measure you'd like it to start and choose beat click. It will default to a quarter note but you can double click on the quarter note icon and choose eighth notes instead
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, so set the tempo control source (disclose triangle in lower right corner of transport "display" area) to conductor track (if it isn't already).

You can put a click change event at the top of the conductor track, but another way is to just stick a Meter Change at the top of the song. Set it to 4/4 or whatever meter it is. On the right side of that event is a "Click" and a note value, and you can just set that to 8th notes. Set it back to quarters when you're done.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Perfect! Thanks guys! This is the best way to do it in my case, because as Stubb says, I can change it back to 1/4's when we are done recording the performance.
SMS

Post by SMS »

This feature in DP is extremely flexible. You can set up pretty much any kind of click you want with accents wherever you want them. Shooshie has a great explanation of this somewhere on this forum.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT