MIDI Device to change patches on live stage

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chandrasekar
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI Device to change patches on live stage

Post by Chandrasekar »

Good day everybody,

Saw someone using this on live stage for changing patches.
I have only a blurred photo of the device.
Can anyone tell me what is that unit?

Thanking you in advance.
Attachments
What is this device.png
What is this device.png (181.05 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Device to change patches on live stage

Post by stubbsonic »

I don't know that device.

If your subject line is what you are seeking, you might want to check out the Hotone Ampero Control.

https://shop.hotoneaudio.com/products/ampero-control

It's compact and quite versatile. Can send a bunch of MIDI messages in one click. MIDI DIN, USB, and Bluetooth. Programmed via iOS or Android app. No UI on the unit, though, just bank select.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Sorry, don't know what it is.

But my Softstep has been great for live shows. It still does.
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep
A little learning curve, but so deep and powerful in the end.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Chandrasekar

Post by Chandrasekar »

Thank you all very much.
Went through with all these including programmable guitar foot switches.
My friend needs more than 10 patch changes. Cannot be foot switches (or hard pressing).
He needs to see the soft buttons while playing.
Can anyone recognize the brand?
Regards.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

FWIW, the Ampero Control can send up to 32 MIDI messages-- either 16 on press and 16 on release, or toggle between A state and B state each with 16 messages.

Also, it has 2 input jacks, each of which can host up to 2 switches-- so a person could insert up to four "soft" clickless switches.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

I also use a SoftStep2 and it is great. You can load multiple banks with up to 10 patch or bank changes, per bank. I use one for each song. The buttons are actually very sensitive (no hard click) and can have their responsiveness adjusted to be very responsive to finger taps, if you want this...

I have set-up a small Novation Launchkey mini to use its' pads to send preset changes of my wifes' Hedra guitar effects peddle. This also works, but it very limited to a single bank. Also responds well to finger taps, since they are technically drum pads... Just to mention, I do this in conjunction with LIVE: I map each pad to launch a clip, and the clip launches the preset-patch change message to the MIDI device. DP can probably do this, as well, I just have not tried it.

Also use a MIDI Fighter controller (arcade buttons) to turn effects on plugins off and on, by using MKIDI mapping in the DAW (LIVE, but again, I am sure it can be done in DP).

In short any MIDI capable controller can probably do the job, so you have options. Unless you are playing without a computer DAW, then it becomes more limited...;-)
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
Chandrasekar

Post by Chandrasekar »

Thanks for all the replies.

The setup is for Indian live band.
They keep switching patches during intro/ bgm 1 or bgm 2 many times.
After playing a strings phrase, they will switch to a bell or organ or flute and back to strings fast.
2 players with 2 or 3 keyboards each also require such a setup.
Generally they use Apple Mainstage, load the sounds in different tracks and select the tracks from a korg Nano pad or DAW controller. My friend requires a MIDI output to regular keyboards.

This is unlike western songs where the patches need not be that fast.
Any foot switch method is not usable here.
I am unable to identify the logo on the device.

Thanks anyway.
Best regards.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was curious to see if I could find that device based on that blurry image, but didn't have any luck.

The Ampero Control has traditional MIDI out, and sends those messages as quickly as ANY MIDI foot controller.

What might cause a lag is the synth itself, I expect MainStage will pre-load all the sounds for instantaneous switching.

FWIW, the footswitches on the Ampero Control aren't very clacky or loud. I.e., they' don't "Snap" like a toggle switch does. But they do make a little mechanical noise.

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

DP has been able to send patch changes to multiple external MIDI devices for maybe 15-18 years. It's how I set up the keyboard rigs for Michael Jackson's This Is It rehearsals. Every song in the set was a chunk in a DP file. Switch to another chunk, the patch changes would all get sent instantly. Back then we were using MOTU MIDI Express 128's to route the MIDI to multiple synths or rack units. Even the keyboard players' onstage mixers (Yamaha 01V96's) could switch "scenes" via this setup.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
SMS

Post by SMS »

This device has been a godsend to me….

Unlike a situation like a show with predictable set lists and patches for different tunes, I do gigs with frequently no Setlist and I don’t like to be locked into using the same patch every time I play the song. This device lets me select a patch (by number or name, including channel and bank) while I’m playing, and then when I’m ready to change patches I just hit the enter key… send whatever you like with a single key press!

There are several modes, one of which does let you build lists and send patch changes to multiple devices (channels).

It’s not generally available all the time, I get the impression the guy makes them in batches when he gets a certain number of orders.

http://musictechnologiesgroup.com/midipatch.htm
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT