Second Mouse as a MIDI Controller?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Anthropy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Anthropy »

Hello Friends!
I want to turn a second mouse into a MIDI controller. Does anyone know how to do this, probably with some kind of “bridge” software that converts on the fly in real time?

I’ve used TouchOSC on an iPad, played around with touchpads, but they’re not enough - here’s why:
I use Vienna Symphonic Orchestra and Spitfire BBC Orchestra. Most of the time I want to simultaneously use three continuous controllers, Expression - cc11, Velocity X-Fade - cc2, Slot X-Fade - cc20. I’m also needing to send cc1 (with preset values) and MIDI notes with mouse buttons, to select different parameters. XY pad solutions are really clunky and it's easy to push the wrong button, but an ergonomic mouse would be perfect.

I see Easy MIDI on the App Store, which does some of what I’d like, but the mouse parameters seem largely fixed to Mod, Pitchbend, and Note Velocity, or JoyKeyMapper which seems to only be for gamers wanting to control with a game controller.

Code makes my eyes glaze over in less than second. But I’m willing to try if that’s the only way.

Maybe there’s a physical IO - mouse in, MIDI out?

Any ideas?

Robert
Mac Studio M1 128gb, DP. LPX, OWC Thunderbay external 4 bay SSD, Antelope Audio Zen Go, Presonus Monitor Station V2, Event 2020 powered monitors (1st gen). Best thing = CyberPower UPS!!! We have wind, rain, snow, ice, and lots of power outages!
stubbsonic

Re: Second Mouse as a MIDI Controller?

Post by stubbsonic »

I wonder if one or more of those macro programs like Keyboard Maestro could be programmed to do something like that. I know they have some MIDI capability, but I don't know if streaming CC values based on positional coordinates is part of their available tasks.

Some "virtual theremin" things have kind of played with this idea. It SHOULD be very doable.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This probably won't help... but just want to share this link as there's a remote chance it might help... I know it can do X Y... and maybe even a way to do a third controller. Don't remember. I use it with a Magic Trackpad to send X/Y controller to VI's that can respond to it.

https://audioswiftapp.com/
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Good luck with that. I have worked with Apple's Accessibility Team over the years trying to get some functionality among three controllers to work in a way to benefit handicapped persons such as myself.

The overall result is best described as this: :banghead:

I hope that you have better success than I.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Anthropy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:58 am Hello Friends!
I want to turn a second mouse into a MIDI controller. Does anyone know how to do this, probably with some kind of “bridge” software that converts on the fly in real time?

I’ve used TouchOSC on an iPad, played around with touchpads, but they’re not enough - here’s why:
I use Vienna Symphonic Orchestra and Spitfire BBC Orchestra. Most of the time I want to simultaneously use three continuous controllers, Expression - cc11, Velocity X-Fade - cc2, Slot X-Fade - cc20. I’m also needing to send cc1 (with preset values) and MIDI notes with mouse buttons, to select different parameters. XY pad solutions are really clunky and it's easy to push the wrong button, but an ergonomic mouse would be perfect.

I see Easy MIDI on the App Store, which does some of what I’d like, but the mouse parameters seem largely fixed to Mod, Pitchbend, and Note Velocity, or JoyKeyMapper which seems to only be for gamers wanting to control with a game controller.

Code makes my eyes glaze over in less than second. But I’m willing to try if that’s the only way.

Maybe there’s a physical IO - mouse in, MIDI out?

Any ideas?

Robert
How about one of each of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... sion-pedal

and

https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-m ... ntroller-2

plus your keyboard's Mod and Pitch Wheels? Seven CC Parameters total. And if you've never used BC, you are missing something great.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Keyboard Aftertouch. I like using it mapped to Vibrato Depth.
Last edited by HCMarkus on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
tremo

Post by tremo »

James Steele wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:38 pm This probably won't help... but just want to share this link as there's a remote chance it might help... I know it can do X Y... and maybe even a way to do a third controller. Don't remember. I use it with a Magic Trackpad to send X/Y controller to VI's that can respond to it.

You can actually send up to 4 different MIDI CC messages with the trackpad in fader mode (the dev keeps enhancing the app with updates). Seems like it might be a good solution for the OP, especially if they already have a trackpad.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.4.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 10.8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

tremo wrote:
James Steele wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:38 pm This probably won't help... but just want to share this link as there's a remote chance it might help... I know it can do X Y... and maybe even a way to do a third controller. Don't remember. I use it with a Magic Trackpad to send X/Y controller to VI's that can respond to it.

You can actually send up to 4 different MIDI CC messages with the trackpad in fader mode (the dev keeps enhancing the app with updates). Seems like it might be a good solution for the OP, especially if they already have a trackpad.
Good point!! I forgot about fader mode!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Anthropy

Post by Anthropy »

Markus' breath controller might do the trick. I had one that just had breath as a controller, but this also has bite and head position. Thanks Markus, I'll look into it.
Mac Studio M1 128gb, DP. LPX, OWC Thunderbay external 4 bay SSD, Antelope Audio Zen Go, Presonus Monitor Station V2, Event 2020 powered monitors (1st gen). Best thing = CyberPower UPS!!! We have wind, rain, snow, ice, and lots of power outages!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Anthropy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:13 pm Markus' breath controller might do the trick. I had one that just had breath as a controller, but this also has bite and head position. Thanks Markus, I'll look into it.
Excellent! I absolutely LOVE using BC. Literally breathes life into my VI work.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'll second that about BC. Velocity provides such an important level of expression, BC is the next level.

I'll also put in a thumbs up for that Yamaha FC7. It's a very clever pedal. My only complaint about it is that heel down is such a steep angle that I almost can't flex my "shin" muscle hard enough to get my toe up that high. I have to prop the heel up to make it comfortable to use. That said, it has a wide sweep so it is very easily to control.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:00 pmI'll also put in a thumbs up for that Yamaha FC7. It's a very clever pedal. My only complaint about it is that heel down is such a steep angle that I almost can't flex my "shin" muscle hard enough to get my toe up that high. I have to prop the heel up to make it comfortable to use. That said, it has a wide sweep so it is very easily to control.
Did you know you can change the angle of the entire throw on the FC7, stubbs?

Loosen the setscrew on the bottom of the pedal, pull the pedal assembly from the base and shift the pedal assembly so the throw begins closer to level. See the bottom of Page 6:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/o ... _om_b0.pdf
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:12 am
Did you know you can change the angle of the entire throw on the FC7, stubbs?

Loosen the setscrew on the bottom of the pedal, pull the pedal assembly from the base and shift the pedal assembly so the throw begins closer to level. See the bottom of Page 6:
No, my dude, I did not know that. Got it used, and never bothered to do any manual reading.

:woohoo:

Thank you so much!!!

EDIT: Just did the switch over to the other position, don't need to prop it up.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

:headbang:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

For those who don't know, the FC7 has this unique feature where as you go up from heel-down toward the toe, you reach a "soft stop" to the throw, beyond that point, there's an additional range of movement that is under spring-loaded resistance.

You have a continuous sweep from zero up to this "parking" spot, then an extra push against the spring gives you a temporary extra boost. For a volume pedal it makes really good sense. As a CC controller, you'd need to plan how you'd use it. That's the cleverness I was referring to.

The throw (even not including the extra) is so ridiculously long, I wonder if their goal was to make the throw as long as physically possible. Requires ankle yoga.