Sonoma changes menu bar height on DP Windows - Can affect macros

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sonoma changes menu bar height on DP Windows - Can affect macros

Post by James Steele »

Well, first thing we know needs to get fixed with DP is that after installing Sonoma, it takes a double-click to open menu items in DP's main menu. Minor and I'm sure MOTU will fix with an update.

I just discovered something else though. Look at the graphic below. Sonoma adds extra height to the menu bar at the top of DP's windows. (See the red arrows. This is additional dead space that wasn't there before.).

tallermenubarheight.jpg
tallermenubarheight.jpg (96.49 KiB) Viewed 940 times

This seems to be minor, too. However, it can cause problems with Keyboard Maestro macros that require performing a mouse click at certain coordinates measured relative to the top left (or top right) corner of the current window. The vertical coordinate is now off and the value needs to be increased. I had a handful of macros that were affected by this which I tweaked to work again, but given that there might be some power users who have lots of macros that could be affected, might behoove MOTU to fix this so it's consistent with how it appears in Ventura and earlier.

Oh... I'll also add that I wouldn't mind it if MOTU could get rid of the redundant a window titles. We don't need Audio Performance twice in that window for example. Lots of wasted screen real estate.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
hammerman

Re: Sonoma changes menu bar height on DP Windows - Can affect macros

Post by hammerman »

Thanks for pointing that out James. I am this close to installing the new 14.1 Public Beta to see if it fixes the issue but I've never installed betas on my machine. I will wait. I heard from the Dorico folks at Steinberg that Apple changed some graphics stuff (obviously) and that it was going to be fixed in the update. In other words, probably an Apple issue and not a DP one.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for the head-up, James. I have a ton of KM macros for DP.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
SMS

Post by SMS »

Yeah, I noticed this, too.

In general, I'm getting markedly poorer performance in Sonoma (see my post). Really hoping for an update to improve things ASAP.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

hammerman wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:22 am Thanks for pointing that out James. I am this close to installing the new 14.1 Public Beta to see if it fixes the issue but I've never installed betas on my machine. I will wait. I heard from the Dorico folks at Steinberg that Apple changed some graphics stuff (obviously) and that it was going to be fixed in the update. In other words, probably an Apple issue and not a DP one.
Holding off, here. BIAB is the other app that needs an update before I go to Sonoma.. I’m not in a hurry.

I played with it on our M1 MacBook Air but that’s not my work machine. It was useful to help find James’s Adobe issue and I may test a few more things on it before I jump.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro