Track Enable turning itself on?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Irimi Nage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Track Enable turning itself on?

Post by Irimi Nage »

I’ve got an instance of Superior Drummer in this song, living in a folder of outtakes and other assorted bits I call “Resources”. Every track in this folder has its track enable button set to off. I don’t turn them on, I just keep them around for safekeeping without using system resources (or as a way to deal with my tendency to hoard audio lol).

For some reason, this one track keeps turning itself on! It’s in a folder with many other tracks and only this one is doing it. I don’t recall if this has happened in any other session but I don’t recall seeing it before. But I do keep noticing that it’s been turned on, even though I keep turning it off. What I’m saying is, I’m pretty sure I’m not accidentally turning it on by mistake.

Knowing that track enable switches aren’t automatable, and beyond it just being another DP bug, anyone have any idea what could be happening here? Is there some other way to enable a track without actually pressing its enable button?
HCMarkus

Re: Track Enable turning itself on?

Post by HCMarkus »

Never experienced this one Irimi. Raises three questions for me:

1. Does this happen in other project files?

2. If only this file, are you ever going to use SD in this project?

3. If not, why not delete the track?

PS: You might want to set up a signature, so whenever you post, folks know what Computer/OS/DP versions you are using.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

Hi Markus I can tell from your replies that we have very different ways of working! :D

In this case, yes I may use this SD instance again, it has samples that I put together and very well may want them in this project. Yes I know there are other ways to store the track like clippings etc but this is my preferred way - the one that avoids the most bugs and otherwise works most conveniently for me personally. I realize a workaround is to delete the track but Im not looking to do that at this time.

I haven't noticed this happening in other files, but I've also been working in this project almost exclusively for the last couple of weeks.

I'll set up a signature when I have a sec, good suggestion thanks. For now it's latest DP, Mac Studio M1 Max 2022. MacOS is 12.7. Thx
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

It actually turned itself back on while I was writing that reply :lol:
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Irimi Nage wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:27 am n this case, yes I may use this SD instance again, it has samples that I put together and very well may want them in this project. Yes I know there are other ways to store the track like clippings etc but this is my preferred way - the one that avoids the most bugs and otherwise works most conveniently for me personally. I realize a workaround is to delete the track but Im not looking to do that at this time.

I haven't noticed this happening in other files, but I've also been working in this project almost exclusively for the last couple of weeks.
Very strange, this bug! You could try Loading the Project into a new blank Project.

You could try Duplicating the Track, then deleting the original.

Otherwise, unless your Mac is being pushed to its limit, Mute the subject track and live with a bit of extra overhead.

And don't use this file as a Template!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

Those are all good suggestions thank you. Really I think I'm just trying to figure out if I've missed some mechanism in DP to allow automating track enable? I think there is not, correct?

Earlier this week I got caught with unknowingly rolling my mouse wheel while hovering over the transpose control in sequence editor, which I never really use otherwise. It took me a minute to figure out why my track had gone all chipmunky. I wondered if something similar was being mischievous in the shadows here with track enable.