Q. for MacOS Sonoma beta testers: does MOTUFireWireAudio.kext keep working in MacOS 14 beta?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
papageno
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Q. for MacOS Sonoma beta testers: does MOTUFireWireAudio.kext keep working in MacOS 14 beta?

Post by papageno »

Just curious, if anyone here has tested Sonoma beta 4 with MOTUFireWireAudio.kext kernel extension?

For years already some of us have been getting alerts that this type of kext is being deprecated. Nevertheless, all these years the extension keeps working and thus old Motu interfaces as well.

I have an old Ultralite mk3 Firewire-only interface that keeps working (one has to search and install UltraLite mk3 HYBRID installer, FW-only also works with that installer) with Motu Audio Installer ver. 89555 from Oct. 13, 2021. This driver is Apple Silicon native and works perfectly with my 2021 16-inch Macbook Pro and MacOS 13.5. In some rare cases when I need to restart my Mac I get an alert that the kext is deprecated. This does not bother me much.

I am wondering if Apple is going to pull the plug in Sonoma or does MOTUFireWireAudio.kext keep working. I have no possibility to test OS betas but maybe someone here has already done that. I would happily keep using my good old UL mk3 that I purchased in june 2009.
+372 56222285
MrFresh

Re: Q. for MacOS Sonoma beta testers: does MOTUFireWireAudio.kext keep working in MacOS 14 beta?

Post by MrFresh »

I am not a tester BUT would really like to know the answer as I plan upgrading from Big Sur on my M1 Mac mini to purchasing a new M2 Mac Studio Max after MacOS Sonoma launches. My 828X is currently working flawlessly.

Thanks all!
mikehalloran

Re: Q. for MacOS Sonoma beta testers: does MOTUFireWireAudio.kext keep working in MacOS 14 beta?

Post by mikehalloran »

With MOTU, it's possible that many of the current drivers will not work over Sonoma. We've seen this a few times over the years. It's just as likely that everything will work. MOTU is adamant that they never support nor comment on MacOS beta.

Unlike some companies, MOTU jumps on driver updates ASAP after the next MacOS is released. There was one time where we had to wait about a month for USB devices to be recognized.

After the Mojave release, MOTU was one of the few companies whose units did work properly. Many interface makers saw their lines bricked until MacOS 10.14.3 fixed the issue for everyone—except MOTU who never had a problem.

Anyway, MOTUFireWireAudio.kext 1.6 89555 has been around since 2019. We'll know when we know.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MrFresh

Post by MrFresh »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:38 pm With MOTU, it's possible that many of the current drivers will not work over Sonoma. We've seen this a few times over the years. It's just as likely that everything will work. MOTU is adamant that they never support nor comment on MacOS beta.

Unlike some companies, MOTU jumps on driver updates ASAP after the next MacOS is released. There was one time where we had to wait about a month for USB devices to be recognized.

After the Mojave release, MOTU was one of the few companies whose units did work properly. Many interface makers saw their lines bricked until MacOS 10.14.3 fixed the issue for everyone—except MOTU who never had a problem.

Anyway, MOTUFireWireAudio.kext 1.6 89555 has been around since 2019. We'll know when we know.
Mike,
Your insight is always valuable, thanks for answering. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It was your input, and many others here in this forum (along with MOTU's tech article on the security settings for the .kext) , that helped me get my get my 828X up and running when I couldn't succeed with my 828Mk3.
papageno

Post by papageno »

I have a 2018 i7 Intel Mac mini that I can use for testing. Installed MacOs 14.
Firsti impression- after installing MOTU driver (same old, same old 2021) and approving it in prefs it says loaded, notarized, verified developer. So at least kext is working like in MacOs 13, it is not blocked in Sonoma.

BTW. this driver could not be around since 2019 because it is Apple Silicon native. Last driver, that unofficially supports Firewire interfaces was released 2021.
+372 56222285
papageno

Post by papageno »

Update: on 2021 16'' M1 Pro MacBook Pro: everything so far keeps working after 13.6>14.0 update.

Motu UltraLite mk3 Firewire-only
Finale 27.3
NotePerformer 4.1.0
Keyboard Maestro 10.2
Alfred 5.1.3
Plogue Bidule 0.9785
Digital Performer 11.22
StreamDeck XL with JetStream Finale

Please note that I am NOT encouraging anyone to update to Sonoma!
I just verified that stuff starts up and functions ok but this is based on 1-hour testing.

Happy about Ultralite though- another year with my faithful interface that I purchased 2009!
+372 56222285
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Good to know. Thanks!
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU released the Sonoma announcement today.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73511

Nothing unexpected, thankfully but MOTU suggests caution. I need to check Adobe, Claris and a few other developers before taking the plunge.

I expect that rolling back from Sonoma will be the same as rolling back from Ventura—a complete Time Machine Restore which takes about three days for me. I’m in no hurry.
mothra

Post by mothra »

828x is fine. Upgrade took about an hour, absolutely nothing broke here (so far), same stuff different day.

Installed it on our 'testing' MacBook Pro at work yesterday too. Shockingly, none of our software stopped working, including the drivers for our touch displays!!!
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
papageno

Post by papageno »

So far the only thing that stopped working has been macports. Already installed ports kept working but port itself gave "wrong os version" error. This was fixed this morning by releasing a new installer.
Not relevant to Motu though...
+372 56222285