DP slow to load due to VST window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP slow to load due to VST window

Post by Michael Canavan »

Maxxy, like you point out the solution to this is to create a folder in your VST folder called VST unused or VST Disabled, then drop all the VSTs you don't use in there. I do this since forever, this way I don't have multiple versions of the same plug in in the plug in list, and I don't have to download the VST if the AU or VST3 version is acting up. This speeds up load times.

Personally I haven't noticed that 11.11 scans the plug ins every time I load DP, it's not doing that here, but it really doesn't take much for any DAW to decided to rescan the plug in folders.

VST has been used as a term for plug ins since forever. Yeah it's a bit lazy, but there's no denying that VST is the dominant standard with the most developers and DAWs compatible with the format. So it's not surprising that people just call plug ins VSTs, much like people call facial tissue Kleenex, or parts of the USA call all soda drinks Coke.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Jumping in here and forgive me if this isn't entirely on point, but I too have noticed I'm looking at DP 11.11 take a long time during the VST plug-in load. I'm going to double check, but pretty sure I'm using AU exclusively, save for VST3 for the Console 1 plug-in since the VST3 format allows for extended features. If not using any VST plugs, I think a good solution is to just go into the DP prefs and uncheck the "MAS VST Support" plug-in and it should just completely bypass VSTs altogether. If you're not using any, you don't need this.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Hi Michael

Yes.... just to be clear I don't know that DP is actually re-scanning the VST and VST3 folders after bootup.... it's just that that is what it feels like because of the very long time it takes to complete .... I really have no idea what DP is actually doing for all that time

Also the VST3 folder was taking a similarly long time as the VSTs ... so rationalising both of them saved me about 8-10 minutes altogether

It's been years since I seriously pruned out any plug-in folders like this...other than removing all 32-bit plugs since Catalina I think... I hadn't felt it necessary... DPs plug-in manager seemed to work very well... ... remember AU Manager app was it way back when? ... but it sure feels now like it was long overdue as the startup time now is very quick

BTW on the subject of DPs plug-in manager I would love to see an alphabetical (and/or manufacturer) ordering of them (VST and VST3) .... With a lot of plugs in the folders they can be awkward to find in the manager when displayed in seemingly random order ... no?

Thanks a lot

Best
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Also the AUs in DPs plug-in manager have no alphabetical list order as I can see... :(
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maxxy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 pm Also the AUs in DPs plug-in manager have no alphabetical list order as I can see... :(
Yes, that’s odd. It’s not clear how they are ordered. But there’s a search box.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Killahurts wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:57 pm That happens here too. It takes over a minute to analyze the MAS VST and VST3 plugs, the longest part of launching the app by far. I don't even use VSTs. I think it started with DP11.
I just updated my system to Monterey from Big Sur. The long startup is gone now.. DP starts up as quickly as it used to, blazes right past the VST support stuff.. even after I've restarted the computer.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Maybe 500+ plugs here. Slow as molasses on first boot of day. Maybe 4-5 minutes.

I am gonna try getting rid of all the VSTs like Maxxy did. I have to keep the VST3's though for the surround and atmos work. Will try to report back in once done. Right now chasing down a kernel panic. :(
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Update from post above. Did the Maxxy move (its a new dance number :lol: ) Down to 2 minutes now just for the VST3's YAH! I can deal with that. :D
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

I'm going to start managing my plugins better. It took DP 11 about 8 minutes to start up this morning.
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)