Opinions on Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE?

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Opinions on Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE?

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

IK Multimedia is offering this as a free download until September 30, but since I would have to upgrade my MacOS to a slightly higher version to use it, I would appreciate any feedback/opinions from anyone who currently uses this. I've kept my music-only Mac Mini "frozen" on Mavericks for the last 5 years and I'm reluctant to upgrade since it works so well right now....Note that this is the budget-size version of the VI, not the full library....

Doug
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Opinions on Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE?

Post by James Steele »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:53 pm IK Multimedia is offering this as a free download until September 30, but since I would have to upgrade my MacOS to a slightly higher version to use it, I would appreciate any feedback/opinions from anyone who currently uses this. I've kept my music-only Mac Mini "frozen" on Mavericks for the last 5 years and I'm reluctant to upgrade since it works so well right now....Note that this is the budget-size version of the VI, not the full library....

Doug
What is the minimum requirement? I'm not sure to be honest. There's the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Hopefully others will pipe up. I know I have the full version working on my Mac, but it is Intel, last updated I think NINE YEARS ago. Pretty sure it's END OF LIFE and it won't ever be native if that's important to you some day. The samples themselves might already be accessible in SampleTank? Not sure.

Ugh... you could go either way, depending on your Mac, High Sierra wouldn't necessarily be that bad and if you are using an SSD, you could upgrade to using APFS file format which is superior by all accounts.

Safe move is to stand pat I guess. You could also always download it and store the installer in a safe place and install in the future should you upgrade your Mac at some point. Like I said, I think it even is working on my M1 Max Mac Studio in Rosetta.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tidwells@aol.com

Minimum requirement is MacOs 10.10. I'm on 10.9.5 (Mavericks).

Doug
Tidwells@aol.com

Also, my 2012 Mac Mini is a quad-processor 2.6 Ghz (or is that Mhz??) Intel I-7 with 16 gb of ram.

Doug
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Miroslav has its own sound. If you like it, it’s fine. I don’t use it so much any more, but it was fine when I did, and it worked consistently.

As for the OS version, I’m all for leaving working systems alone, but Mavericks is getting a bit thread bare. There must be a whole lot of stuff that doesn’t work in it any more, including recent versions of DP. My bet is anything that works on it will work on High Sierra, unless it’s like 20 years old.

In any case, why not just get Miroslav now, and decide whether to update macOS later. At least you’ll have the option.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

A pretty good chunk of that lib got put into SampleTank one version ago, maybe even more of it in current version, but I don't think the wind/breath controller mappings made it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I do think it had its place at one time, but it is very dated now. You probably won't think that a system update is worth it. I think a far better option at the same (free) price is BBCSOD:

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/bbc-symph ... a-discover

It won't run on Mavericks, either.

Palette Primary Colors is another GREAT free alternative that will run on the full version of Kontakt that I think should be compatible with your system:

https://redroomaudio.com/product/palett ... ry-colors/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Tidwells@aol.com

Thanks to all 3 of you for opinions on Miroslav plus recommended options. I appreciate it! I've been using Garritan's Instant Orchestra for years and wanted to see if I could "take a step up" with orchestral VI's for little or no cost. Inflation has not raised my income. :D

Doug
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I've played the previous release of Miroslav for some projects.
The sound was fine to my ears, but IMHO recorded very wet.
I like to take control of hall reverb, rather than dealing with reverb inside samples.
But, I did love the bassoon, though.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

IK is having installation issues with the full version of Philharmonik 2 over Ventura—I am working with them to get that resolved. Philharmonik 2 CE installs fine. It can be called from SampleTank 4 or the stand alone Miroslav player.

All versions of SampleTank 4 use the same player including the free CS version.

The Miroslav libraries are a bit dated but can be quite useful. They don't have a large footprint which is nice.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:22 am IK is having installation issues with the full version of Philharmonik 2 over Ventura
Hmmm... I guess it's good I installed it back when my Mac came with Monterey. I don't really use it much, though.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:15 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:22 am IK is having installation issues with the full version of Philharmonik 2 over Ventura
Hmmm... I guess it's good I installed it back when my Mac came with Monterey. I don't really use it much, though.
It was fine in Monterey for me, too. Unfortunately, to solve my original installation problem, I wiped IKM from my system—which did fix that issue but left me unable to re-install the full version. I know what the problem is and how to fix it but I suspect that the support people I'm dealing with do not speak English well enough to understand what I'm saying, including that Ventura changed things and the IK Product Manager is not as compatible as they think.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro