Karabiner app - powerful free keyboard key remapping app

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Karabiner app - powerful free keyboard key remapping app

Post by cuttime »

One of the first things I noticed about my Mac Studio was that the Bluetooth and WiFi reception was not great. After checking around I found this is pretty standard behavior, since a sealed aluminum box acts as a Faraday cage. Seems to be a design weakness, but one I'm happy to live with.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:35 pm One of the first things I noticed about my Mac Studio was that the Bluetooth and WiFi reception was not great. After checking around I found this is pretty standard behavior, since a sealed aluminum box acts as a Faraday cage. Seems to be a design weakness, but one I'm happy to live with.
Yeah... the workaround is acceptable. I actually have an OWC hard disk dock perched on top of my Mac Studio and I tried moving that to see if it would help with reception, but no dice. So far this is still working like a champ.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It ain't pretty but it works. Bluetooth receiver dongle and Logitech wireless mouse dongle at the end of two Apple USB extender cables taped to the side of the desk rack:

extenders.jpg
extenders.jpg (82.07 KiB) Viewed 655 times

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:02 pmNow that it's working, I'm glad I didn't punt and return the keypad.
:woohoo:
Chandrasekar
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Chandrasekar »

If you still have dongle distance problem for blue tooth device, consider using an USB extension cable for the dongle.
Regards.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Chandrasekar wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:53 pm If you still have dongle distance problem for blue tooth device, consider using an USB extension cable for the dongle.
Regards.
Thanks. I thought of that. Look up two posts before yours. :wink:

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

James Steele wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:11 pm It ain't pretty but it works. Bluetooth receiver dongle and Logitech wireless mouse dongle at the end of two Apple USB extender cables taped to the side of the desk rack:
Just want to share that I found a better looking solution as the usb extender cables would stay stuck to the tape I used and it didn't look all that great. I ended up scouring Amazon and finding this:

https://a.co/d/5XKzUYS

flushmountextension.jpg
flushmountextension.jpg (220.85 KiB) Viewed 462 times

I got this very strong 3M double stick tape to tape the mount to the side of the rack built into my desk:
https://a.co/d/6xH3rdf

And so now it looks like this (better in real life pic is overexposed) and is very solid and secure:

usbextender.jpg
usbextender.jpg (135.54 KiB) Viewed 462 times

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I've always thought about buying that same OWC number pad, but I made a DP specific interface in Numpad the iOS app mentioned earlier and it works great. You can substitute icons for the numbers in NumPad. Reminds me to set it up with the Mac Studio.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:I've always thought about buying that same OWC number pad, but I made a DP specific interface in Numpad the iOS app mentioned earlier and it works great. You can substitute icons for the numbers in NumPad. Reminds me to set it up with the Mac Studio.
Yeah. The reason I went with that one is that it fits right on top of my Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2 keyboard.