Problem routing MIDI signals out of DP, into an external device.

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is being developed and is intended as intended as a place to bring together various Digital Performer video tutorials. Currently only YouTube videos may be embedded using the [YouTube] BB code.
happymoogman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Problem routing MIDI signals out of DP, into an external device.

Post by happymoogman »

Please bear with me.
I haven't tried to do this in years.

I know there's a way to route MIDI signals out of DP, and play into an external sound device.

I can record MIDI just fine, and have it play an INTERNAL software synth, but how the heck do I send that same MIDI signal out from DP, to my Presonus 24c audio interface, and then out to my Yamaha FB01 sound generator?

I've tried a bunch of MIDI manipulations, inside SETUP > OPEN AUDIO MIDI SETUP > SHOW MIDI DEVICES, and then trying configuring....to no avail.

Arghhh.

dc
Apple 27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5750, SuperDrive, TA, DP9, El Capitan, Reason, Ivory, samplemodeling, Kontact, Kirk Hunter Diamond Symphony, REAL analog modular synth!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Problem routing MIDI signals out of DP, into an external device.

Post by James Steele »

Your Presonus 24c has two MIDI ports on the back from what I could see. When it is connected to your Mac and you open Audio MIDI Setup you should see it as one of the devices in that window. You create a new device in that window... with the plus sign up at the top.

You'll see a new device appear in that window called "New external device." Double click it.
Type "FB-01" in the device name, then choose Yamaha and FB-01 from the drop down menus respectively:

fb01.png
fb01.png (103.25 KiB) Viewed 7358 times

Next... click on the little triangle on the block the represents the MIDI out of your 24c and drag a connection to the input of the FB-01 you just created:

connecttointerface.png
connecttointerface.png (12.6 KiB) Viewed 7358 times

Now make sure you have a MIDI cable attached from the MIDI OUT on your 24c to the MIDI IN on the FB-01.

When you create a MIDI track in DP and select the output you should see the FB-01 appear. You can choose FB-01-1 or something similar (the last number indicates the MIDI channel). Then play a note on your keyboard and hopefully you'll see the activity light on the front of the FB-01 light up.

You'll still need to hear the sound of your FB-01, so either you connect the output of the FB-01 to an external mixer, or back into the audio input of your interface, but you'll have some latency unless Presonus has some sort of low latency monitoring app which they might have.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
happymoogman

Re: Problem routing MIDI signals out of DP, into an external device.

Post by happymoogman »

THANK you, James, for your kind and informative help!

GOT IT!

You're a prince.

dc
Apple 27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5750, SuperDrive, TA, DP9, El Capitan, Reason, Ivory, samplemodeling, Kontact, Kirk Hunter Diamond Symphony, REAL analog modular synth!