Need DP /Kontakt Guidance

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mustech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need DP /Kontakt Guidance

Post by mustech »

Hey there,
I am trying to establish a workflow around DP 11 and Kontakt and I could use some guidance. I am attaching a pdf that describes what I have already attempted. Maybe I'm on the right track already, or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Hoping you can set me right. Kontakt is v. 5 but I believe I can get to v. 7 if there's a benefit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TtiQgq ... sp=sharing

MG
HCMarkus

Re: Need DP /Kontakt Guidance

Post by HCMarkus »

I think it has been pretty well established that you are better off using multiple instances of Kontakt to host multiple instruments; this helps avoid overloading a single CPU core and allows a computer to more efficiently allocate CPU horsepower. It also make it a lot easier to set up Kontakt. You won't need all those Aux Buses if you only have one VI running within each instance of Kontakt.

The drum kit, which must by design be hosted in a single instance of Kontakt (although you could work around this if you really wanted to), is the area where you might gain the most from using individual outputs; you would have more control when mixing.

If your two locations have similar gear with identical Bundles for I/O, you should be good to go. As you note, Bundles can be loaded separately, but they do load with a project when you open it.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I think it has been pretty well established that you are better off using multiple instances of Kontakt to host multiple instruments;
The OS assigns each instance to a core.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mustech

Post by mustech »

Do you typically leave the output as Stereo regardless of the nature of the sound? Would feel strange to have (for example) a bass as a stereo track, but maybe that's a prehistoric notion...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mustech wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:52 am Do you typically leave the output as Stereo regardless of the nature of the sound? Would feel strange to have (for example) a bass as a stereo track, but maybe that's a prehistoric notion...
Depends on the instrument. You can add Mono or Stereo (or multi-channel) instance of Kontakt in DP; choose as you prefer when establishing a new VI.

If you are going to use a VI's built-in reverb, the sound uses stereo samples, or if there is any panning (like a piano low to high keys), stereo output would generally be preferred. You can insert MOTU's Trim plugin or other panning plugin after Kontakt to adjust panning to taste. The Trim plugin is very handy for adjusting level of a part, too. Set the Trim level so your channel fader is in a good working area around Zero.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mustech

Post by mustech »

Really appreciate you sharing your expertise. If I were to upgrade my Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 7, would I find much in the way of improvements? I was a little bothered by the fact that i couldn't resize the Kontakt 5 window which runs off the screen at the lower screen resolution I prefer using. Benefits to Kontakt 7? The NI folks encouraged me to spend the $ on upgrading my Komplete 11 Ultimate to version 14. Worth $350??

MG
midilance

Post by midilance »

There's a big benefit between v5 & v7.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

With 7 you can use the newest libraries, many of which Komplete 14 will give you.