Osmose expressive e and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Osmose expressive e and DP

Post by Michael Canavan »

jackvr wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:51 am Hello, I have Osmose, Mac OS 12.6.7. DP11. I am missing something on setup. I can get MIDI to work fine but MPE is not working or working badly. I am trying to use UVI solo instruments. Anyone seen a full top to bottom recipe for setup? I've using the External MIDI, set to MPE on the Osmose. DP has instrument track and mid track linked and it plays fine in MIDI but changing to MPE in the UVI setup it does not play. Meters still show action, and it records but no live sound. When it plays back it plays some of the notes. So somehow having a problem getting all the MPE MIDI channels to connect the right way. Have Multi Record on in DP. AudioMidi setup involved? Anyone have some clues? Sorry if I'm mission something obvious. I am pretty good with the tech, but have run up against the wall this time. Appreciate any help.
Got to the MIDI track you set up for the Osmose in the Sequence Editor, select Open Protocol Settings from the track menu and select MPE for both playback and recording in the pop up window. I don't know the voice count on the Osmosis, but if it's under 16 you will need to limit that in the OPS as well.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
jackvr

Post by jackvr »

Thank you for that input. Greatly appreciated. I set input and output protocols on both MIDI and instrument tracks to MPE. Have sound. Sustains forever almost and some keys do not play at all. So clearly I'm missing something. Screen shot attached.
Attachments
PastedGraphic-1.png
PastedGraphic-1.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 527 times
Michael Canavan

jackvr wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:03 pm Thank you for that input. Greatly appreciated. I set input and output protocols on both MIDI and instrument tracks to MPE. Have sound. Sustains forever almost and some keys do not play at all. So clearly I'm missing something. Screen shot attached.
So that UVI instrument is not MPE compatible. Some are, but they will mention it. Falcon for instance has some MPE instruments. The built in MOTU instruments are "mostly" MPE compatible, fortunately for you the one thing the Osmosis doesn't do (CC 74 slide), is what the MOTU instruments can't do either. With this in mind, I'm betting the Osmosis itself can switch from MPE compatibility to regular MIDI. This is how it is on both the Roli Block and Linnstrument here.

Into the weeds with this, the UVI instrument itself can only address one MIDI channel at a time, while the Osmosis is sending out multiple MIDI channels so it can do it's independent pitch bend. So you will get dropped notes.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
jackvr

Post by jackvr »

Thank you so much again for helping me out. Really appreciate it.

Here is a video clip. This shows what my goal is:

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_bWzgI2_M[/YouTube] Interface shows is a bit different as this is older.

This is the page for IRCAM 2 Solo Instruments: https://www.uvi.net/ircam-solo-instruments-2
It includes this:
"- New MPE and Poly Aftertouch support"

Am I still missing something fundamental? Thanks again.

jack
Michael Canavan

jackvr wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:59 am Thank you so much again for helping me out. Really appreciate it.

Here is a video clip. This shows what my goal is:

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_bWzgI2_M[/YouTube] Interface shows is a bit different as this is older.

This is the page for IRCAM 2 Solo Instruments: https://www.uvi.net/ircam-solo-instruments-2
It includes this:
"- New MPE and Poly Aftertouch support"

Am I still missing something fundamental? Thanks again.

jack
Oh cool, makes the UVI solo instruments tempting, my wallet is mad at you! :x

So all the same things apply, you need to find out what UVI want MPE set up wise in workstation and or Falcon, and to match that using the Open Protocol Settings in the track, accessed easiest through the Sequence Editor in DP. Likely UVI have some MPE patches for the IRCAM instruments, but if you're getting missed notes it means that OPS is not set up right in DP.
jackvr

Post by jackvr »

I found the answer on Facebook Osmose group page:

Steve Watkins, Top contributor
In either Falcon or UVI workstation, click where it says A1 and select Omni from the list. This is so that the instrument listens to all the MIDI channels rather than just channel 1, since MPE uses channels 2-16 for notes.
Solved my problem.