Slate VMS

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate VMS

Post by Phil O »

So, the guitar player in one of the bands I work in (yes I currently work for 2 different bands - a scheduling nightmare and story for another day) is a big Sleep Token fan. I've listened to some of Sleep Token's stuff and it's not my cup of tea, but one of the things I really don't like is the vocal sound.

I did a little homework and their recording engineer is a guy named George Lever.

From an interview:

"George Lever is a U.K. producer working out of Wells, Somerset and Middlefarm Studios. Currently nominated for Best Producer, for the Heavy Music Awards; George has produced and engineered records for bands such as Loathe, Sleep Token, Holding Absence, and many more."

In the interview he says he tracks all his vocals using the Slate VMS system. Anyone here using the Slate VMS? Sounds like crap as far as I can tell. What are your thoughts?

George, if you are on this board, please don't take offense. I'm criticizing the gear, not you. 8)

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Re: Slate VMS

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:55 am So, the guitar player in one of the bands I work in (yes I currently work for 2 different bands - a scheduling nightmare and story for another day) is a big Sleep Token fan. I've listened to some of Sleep Token's stuff and it's not my cup of tea, but one of the things I really don't like is the vocal sound.

I did a little homework and their recording engineer is a guy named George Lever.

From an interview:

"George Lever is a U.K. producer working out of Wells, Somerset and Middlefarm Studios. Currently nominated for Best Producer, for the Heavy Music Awards; George has produced and engineered records for bands such as Loathe, Sleep Token, Holding Absence, and many more."

In the interview he says he tracks all his vocals using the Slate VMS system. Anyone here using the Slate VMS? Sounds like crap as far as I can tell. What are your thoughts?

George, if you are on this board, please don't take offense. I'm criticizing the gear, not you. 8)

Your friendly neighborhood Phil

Like any tool, if used properly, can be very good. Are the emulations 100%? No because that's impossible. They are very good, however. Transients are the weakness—no amount of emulation can make two diaphragm designs perform the same even if the modeled EQ makes the tone similar.

Without processing, the VMS mic is a bit sibilant but so is a RØDE NT1a and so many others. The raw signal is useable but that's not how it's meant to be used.

I found that I don't really have the time to audition microphones after I record tracks. For that reason, my VMS remain unused. I have two, a VMS and a discontinued VMS Vintage (these look great, wooden box and all). If you use foam pop filters, good luck finding ones that fit—I did but that was a long time ago. I may be selling mine or send them to my daughter in Texas. I can use the shelf space.

If I was building a mic locker and needed something that can emulate a U87 in cardioid mode for a guitar track, then sound like an SM7 in a voice-over then a 251 for an alto singer, this would not be a bad purchase. I shouldn't have bought one, however, let alone two.

These are available used. Depending on the plug-in packages included or purchased later, someone will have to pay iLok $25–$50 to transfer the licenses so get that clear with the seller. The mic will have to be registered on Slate Digital to download the plug-ins.
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 12.13.19 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 12.13.19 PM.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1497 times
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 12.17.42 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 12.17.42 PM.png (816.38 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

Their VMS One Preamp is discontinued but can be found used on Reverb and Guitar Center. I've no need for another single channel mic pre that takes more desk space.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Slate VMS

Post by James Steele »

Phil O wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:55 amI did a little homework and their recording engineer is a guy named George Lever.

From an interview:

I don't have much to add to the conversation, but I recognized the name because I bought his expansion pack for STL Control Hub. It's a plug that models signal chains of various big name producers/engineers.

https://www.stltones.com/collections/co ... nsion-pack
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!