8 Pre USB Not Recognized by Motu Audio Setup

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
RFox62
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

8 Pre USB Not Recognized by Motu Audio Setup

Post by RFox62 »

Have been away from studio for almost a month - fired things up this PM only to discover that Motu Audio Set Up is not recognizing my 8Pre USB, which had been working just fine as recently as three weeks ago.

I can't remember if there was an OS update that was applied that "broke" something - currently running 13.4.1 (c)

I have checked connection cable, shut down and re-started multiple times, but nothing.

Any help is appreciated !
mikehalloran

Re: 8 Pre USB Not Recognized by Motu Audio Setup

Post by mikehalloran »

13.4.1 solved some problems; created others and was quickly depreciated by Apple. The current MacOS is 13.5.1.

If that doesn't do it, unplug and reconnect each end of your USB cable with your Mac and device on. If there's a hub in between, that, too.

If you are going through a USB hub, bypass it and plug in directly.

If you still don't see it, Reset your NV RAM in case you have collapsed your ports.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

There are other potential reasons including the need to reinstall drivers but I've listed the usual suspects.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
RFox62

Re: 8 Pre USB Not Recognized by Motu Audio Setup

Post by RFox62 »

Thank you for the suggestions Mike.

OS updated + driver re-install. Device was always plugged directly into Studio. Did a bit of digging and found that re-tarting a silicon mac resets the NV RAM.

Motu Audio Setup still not recognizing any connected devices. You mentioned other issues. I'm all ears.

I think highly unlikely that a cable would just go bad, but swapping in another is all I have from my side. I don't have one, so will have to go buy.

Many thanks for the help