OT: Softube Console 1 Encoder Issue - SOFTUBE & SWEETWATER TOOK GOOD CARE OF ME!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OT: Softube Console 1 Encoder Issue - SOFTUBE & SWEETWATER TOOK GOOD CARE OF ME!!

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... this is just grand! The Input Gain encoder on my Softube Console 1 hardware controller went bad. I thought maybe it was software, but using the MIDI Monitor app, all the other knobs and buttons send sysex... except for this one!!! Arghhh!!! Hardware failure after 23 months! I bought it new on 9/14/21. Not even TWO YEARS.

I have written to Softube, but it's a weekend... so oh well... can't wait to see if I'm screwed here. Don't know if it's possible to have it repaired and replace encoder. Don't exactly want to send it to Sweden... and don't want to buy AN ENTIRE NEW UNIT because of a band Input Gain encoder!!!!

I'll see what Softube says... I'm really upset!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: OT: yes, I know... encoder went bad on my Softube Console 1

Post by James Steele »

Well... I bought it at Sweetwater on 9/14/21 and supposedly from what I just read on their website they have a TWO YEAR warranty on new equipment they sell... so I MIGHT have just made it inside the warranty period. ASSUMING this policy was in effect back when I bought it.

Ugh... really upset at the moment... how does a stupid encoder just go bad???

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just as in update I heard back from Softube. They gave me some things to try and it’s definitely hardware. The Softube guy said they could probably get me a new one and to talk to Sweetwater.

So I just got off the phone with Sweetwater and they said yes, I’m covered by their warranty but unfortunately I don’t get a new unit. They will repair mine. Which normally is fine, but I have to ship it to Sweetwater in Indiana and turn around time is THIRTY DAYS! Ugh.

The problem with that is without the hardware controller, using the Console 1 plug in is a pain. It’s severely limiting and I have several instances of Console 1 in most of my projects. It’s pretty integral to my workflow. Ugh. A month without it is not going to be good.

I followed up with Softube to tell them what’s going on with Sweetwater. Maybe if I’m lucky they can authorize Sweetwater to send me a replacement unit. Again, I don’t mind repairing the one I have but the 30 day turnaround is extremely inconvenient.

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:45 amI followed up with Softube to tell them what’s going on with Sweetwater. Maybe if I’m lucky they can authorize Sweetwater to send me a replacement unit.
I hope that can happen for you! Tell the guys at Softube that you're a professional and you need to have it sooner, is there any way? Couldn't hurt to ask.

Sucks to have it broken though, sorry man.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Killahurts wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:52 pm
James Steele wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:45 amI followed up with Softube to tell them what’s going on with Sweetwater. Maybe if I’m lucky they can authorize Sweetwater to send me a replacement unit.
I hope that can happen for you! Tell the guys at Softube that you're a professional and you need to have it sooner, is there any way? Couldn't hurt to ask.

Sucks to have it broken though, sorry man.
I have a good feeling about the guy at Softtube. He said (and this was before I spoke with Sweetwater), "You should definitely be able to get it replaced." So I'm hopeful.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just a follow up. I shipped off the Console 1 to Sweetwater yesterday. Should get there on 8/16. I'm hopeful that after Sweetwater confers with the Softube rep, I'll have a new hardware unit sent out to me, which will be a much quicker turnaround than waiting for a repair. Also, I found out that Softube's manufacturer warranty is THREE years, so hooray for that!

One of the things this has taught me is how much you DON'T want to use the Console 1 plugin WITHOUT the hardware controller. I mean that's the entire point!! Can't wait to get it back!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: OT: yes, I know... encoder went bad on my Softube Console 1 - RESOLVED

Post by James Steele »

HOORAY! THANK YOU OSKAR AT SOFTUBE AND LUKE AT SWEETWATER!!

I have to just follow up quickly and express my thanks to both Oskar Eriksson at Softube and Luke Boyle at Sweetwater. Between the two of them, they took really good care of the issue. Luke reimbursed me for shipping the unit back and interfaced with Oskar at Softube who was great to deal with. It made me really rethink my purchasing habits as with some of this gear that is critical for us day-to-day, you want to know you're dealing with a manufacturer and a retailer that stand behind the products the build and sell respectively. Both of these guys took really good care of me... I'm impressed.

I have to add, too, that I hadn't realized just how important Console 1 has become to me, than to not have it for a while. Softube really makes some great hardware and plugins. So thank you again, Oskar. And again, thanks to Luke who treated me like an experienced user and when I explained the problem and how I verified it was a hardware issue, didn't second guess me like I was a newbie, and immediately was like "okay... let's take care of this for you." Thanks, Luke!

sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: OT: Softube Console 1 Encoder Issue - SOFTUBE & SWEETWATER TOOK GOOD CARE OF ME!!

Post by sayatnova »

Excellent news. There is so much negative news out there that it is always good to hear some of the good stories, as well!

I have used Sweetwater for over 20 years, and they have always been great.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: OT: Softube Console 1 Encoder Issue - SOFTUBE & SWEETWATER TOOK GOOD CARE OF ME!!

Post by James Steele »

NEW Console 1 arrived yesterday! All is good again in my world! Gotta love the support I got from both Softube and Sweetwater. I started out expecting the worst, and NOBODY gave me even the slightest resistance on replacing it.