DP 11 (Windows) - Using live backing tracks and optimizing outputs when moving to different audio interfaces

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
patazzmusic
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP 11 (Windows) - Using live backing tracks and optimizing outputs when moving to different audio interfaces

Post by patazzmusic »

I'm a seasoned DAW user, but new to DP and we are using it to run backing tracks for our live band.

If anyone is using DP like this, I could use some help... especially those with experience using them for backing tracks.

NOTE: If this has been covered (searched but didn't correlate what I saw to what I need), please point me in the right direction. I did search (RTFM) the manual, GTS, and YouTube, but it may be that I'm not using terms that are specific to DP and coming up empty.
  • We have DP Projects with Chunks for each song.
    Two of us are responsble for the tracks, and though we have similar setups, they are not identical.
    • I use an XR18 at home to assemble the tracks
    • Gary (other band member working on them) uses a Behringer X18 (similar, though not identical to the XR18)
    • I have a Behringer X32 (when we do sound from the stage) as well as smaller 4 output MOTU and Behringer interfaces for backup
    We have multiple outputs
    • click, vocal cues, and a stereo backing pair to the house for every gig
    • For some gigs (small stages, cases where we have fewer band members available) we have some tracks that we have to enable (e.g., bass) and send to the house separately.
    Is there a "global" way to handle this?

I know I can assign the separate "sends" to busses, and then those busses to the audio interfaces outputs, but I have to do it in each individual track. That's an issue because when I have to change the outputs for a different audio interface, I have to do it to every chunk - time consuming and prone to error.

Solution #1: VRacks but can't seem to make it work...
    Setup virtual racks and assign the busses to them, but I can't see a way to do that without putting a plugin into the rack first (which may be the answer, but I'm concerned about latency and CPU usage on a pass through like this).

The VRack idea seems to solve multiple problems (I think you can set them up in advance, and just put the one associated with the audio interface at the top of the Chunks stack and it will use it).

Solution #2 - Use the DP Studio settings
    This is more a search issue I think. I though I saw some type of Studio setup options where you can configure a single computer for use in multiple places. This might be the answer, but I'm not certain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ze3b
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 11 (Windows) - Using live backing tracks and optimizing outputs when moving to different audio interfaces

Post by ze3b »

I use a Mac but the concept is the same. I believe that bundles work identical on both platforms, so, bundles are your friend what I do, is I return both my click track as well as backing tracks to two of the USB returns. I said FX 4 to returns 7 & 8 and that plays my backing track. I set FX 3 to 5 &6 as my click and I remove FX3 from the main mix so nobody hears it but my in ear people. With an x32 you have more fax busses to choose from. Tip got to in/outs in x edit the. just click fx3 or whatever and then click main up above. . Click the orange mains button so it is not orange.