White noise in mic and guitar input - Microbook II & Windows 11

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Mancuso
Primary DAW OS: Windows

White noise in mic and guitar input - Microbook II & Windows 11

Post by Mancuso »

Hello everyone! I'm having a problem with my MOTU Microbook II (no IIc).
I've been using this interface on mac, and it worked perfect.
Recently I did a computer upgrade and bought a laptop MSI Katana 15B12vFK.
I installed the last Microbook II driver from the MOTU page (MOTU audio installer version 66814) and update the firmware to v1.04.
Works perfectly to playback audio. But when I try to make a record with my guitar or mic input, it works for 5 minutes, and suddenly, a loud white noise interrupt the guitar signal.(I was with headphones and almost had a heart attack).
When I change the buffer size, the noise is gone. It doesn't matter if the buffer is lower or higher, the thing is change it to another value. But I wait some minutes and the noise is back again.
I tried all USB ports of my laptop, optimize all power preferences and turn on the never sleep USB option, also tried the USB-C port with an adapter, update all USB drivers to latest version, update the BIOS.
I also tried to install the Microbook IIc drivers (v92178), the interface works, but with the same problem.
I made a ticket to the MOTU support but they stop answering me. They sent me a new firmware, but when i try to install it, I get a message saying 'Download source data is bad'.
I tried in different DAW, pro tools and reaper, and find the same issue.
Anyone knows what could be the problem?

MSI Katana 15B12vFK specs:
- Windows 11 Home
- Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 12th Gen
- 32gb RAM DDR5-4800
- NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060 Laptop GPU 8GB GDDR6
- 1TB M.2 SSD
- Gb LAN / 802.11 ax Wi-Fi 6 + Bluetooth v5.2
- 1x Type-C (USB3.2 Gen1 / DP)
2x Type-A USB3.2 Gen1
1x Type-A USB2.0
1x HDMI™ 2.1 (8K @ 60Hz / 4K @ 120Hz)
1x RJ45

Thank you for the blog, and sorry for my bad english.
Marcelo
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 10.46.12.png
Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 10.46.12.png (81.91 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
CharlzS

Re: White noise in mic and guitar input - Microbook II & Windows 11

Post by CharlzS »

Are you using the Microbook for Windows system audio? Look in Settings--> System --> Sound. If the Microbook is selected for recording and playback, change those selections to the laptop's onboard audio. If that doesn't work, are there any other apps running in the background that would interfere with the sample rate and bit depth?
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Mancuso

Post by Mancuso »

Hi CharlzS! Thank you for the reply.
Yes, i'm using the Microbook for Windows system audio.
I'm going to disable the MOTU for windows and see what happens.
And also look for other apps in the background that would interfere, but I think there shouldn't be.
It's disappointing because I've got a friend with an Audient interface on Windows, and as long as all the apps are at the same sample rate and bith depth, the interface works fine. So he can play spotify for example, and go back to the daw any time to reference a mix.
The crazy thing is that I can actually do that, for playback it works, but when I try to record, I get this noise.
I'm thinking about the CueMix app, maybe it could be in conflict with the DAW?
I'm going to try the things you said and let you know, thank you so much!
Mancuso

Post by Mancuso »

Hi CharlzS!
So, change the windows system audio to the laptop's onboard doesn't work, and there aren't other apps running in the background that would interfere with the sample rate and bit depth.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

You can try turning off microphone access, Cortana and Voice Activation services - Settings --> System --> Privacy & Security --> Microphone and Voice Activation. In the Microphone settings it will show you every Windows app that is accessing inputs. Turn those off individually and check that no desktop apps may be interfering. Also set Windows Sounds to No Sounds. OTT, don't have anything else to try.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1