MIDI Express 128 stopped being recognized

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
zekmoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Express 128 stopped being recognized

Post by zekmoe »

Ok I probably shouldn’t have done it but I haven’t used the MIDI express 128 in a while, mostly playing with virtu synths. So I upgraded a few weeks ago( Mac mini, latest OS) and it stopped responding or being recognized. I downloaded what I think are the latest installer and drivers but no success.
Any suggestions? My primary need is to sent MIDI time code to drum machines, but have several and wanted them all connected.
Thanks
mikehalloran

Re: MIDI Express 128 stopped being recognized

Post by mikehalloran »

TIhree things:

1) Your USB cable must support USB 2 (480KB/s). Many don’t including most Thunderbolt 3 cables. If in doubt, order up a USB Printer Cable — these only support USB 2, backwards compatible to USB 1.1 (older MOTU MIDI interfaces).

2) This is the correct driver.
Driver Supports
MOTU MIDI Installer
Mac v91217 | May 17, 2022
macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11
3) This needs to be done within 30 minutes of installing MOTU drivers on a Mac. You may have to reboot first. If you miss that window, reinstall the drivers and try again.

Unfortunately, this bulletin not accurate for Ventura but MOTU has not updated this. Probably best to call if still having problems.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes ... igh-sierra
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zekmoe

Post by zekmoe »

Thanks, will order a new cable as I know the one I have is many years old and try again.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

zekmoe wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:40 am Thanks, will order a new cable as I know the one I have is many years old and try again.
You don't say which Mini you have. Your MIDI Express has a USB-B port. Each of these cables comes in multiple lengths:

If you need a cable with USB-A on the other end…
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Ex ... ref=sr_1_3

If USB-C on the other end…
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Pr ... ref=sr_1_3
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zmix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by zmix »

I am experiencing the same problem here, except that I've been using a MIDI Express 128 and a Fastlane in my system for years, and suddenly they do not show up in AudioMIDI nor in Logic.

This happened recently in Monterey, but repeatedly installing the drivers fixed it, and yesterday I installed Ventura on a separate drive and I have no MOTU MIDI. The MOTU USB System Extension App Indicates that the correct driver is installed.

I have deleted the Audio MIDI preferences and re-scaned, still no MOTU MIDI.

In my case it is certainly not cables, same cables same USB3 hub, etc.

I've tried to manually uninstall any and all drivers (and the online instructions posted by MOTU and Sweetwater and others are bad! Not complete nor accurate in terms of where the drivers are stored between root and user folders!)

What's concerning is that when I locate and manually uninstall all drivers and preferences, re-boot, then re-install the installer says "update" when I select the driver to install - how? Update from what?

So frustrated at this sudden breakdown, I've swapped everything and still no change..

Can anyone help me ?

I'm moments away from just buying a iConnect class compliant MIDI interface..
faneuil

Post by faneuil »

EXACTLY the same problem here after *upgrading* to Ventura.
MOTU needs to issue new drivers.
I tried reinstall of their lateest drivers and tried multiple OS privacy settings but no luck
Mac “sees” the Express 128 on USB hardware but OS doesn’t present it as MIDI device anymore.
Help!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Did you reinstall the MOTU drivers? The security settings are in different places in Ventura. It would be nice if MOTU put out a different bulletin than the one for High Sierra–Monterey. It still needs to be run within 30 minutes of the driver install and sometimes a reboot after installation is necessary for it to show up.

My MTP AV USB works fine over Ventura on my iMac Pro.

How old is the battery? I change mine every 5–7 years.
faneuil

Post by faneuil »

I bought a used ME128 -- which was working find pre Ventura.
Where are the security setting that you changed in Ventura?
Battery? :) The ME128?
thanks
eric
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Again, this has not been updated for Ventura but this is what has to be done within 30 minutes of installation. I recommend rebooting immediately after installing. Sometimes, you will get screen prompte—if so, don't ignore them.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... igh-sierra

Most MOTU MIDI devices have a CR2032 battery inside. The manual does not list it as it's not considered a "User Serviceable Part" There will be a couple screws holding the cover on. Remove them and you'll see the battery holder.
faneuil

Post by faneuil »

crap - one screw stripped.. the other 2 came out fine!
faneuil

Post by faneuil »

followup - got the screw out
Opened up the ME128 -- nope no battery inside
Eric