Removing excessive outputs? - RESOLVED

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
TimCox
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Removing excessive outputs? - RESOLVED

Post by TimCox »

Hey all,

I have a moderately big orchestral template and I've been dealing with a QOL issue that, at some level, is inconsequential. But, for me, it is infuriating every time I want to add a new instrument. When I need to select an output for a MIDI instrument I have tons of outputs to scroll through (and I can't even mousewheel through them so its DP's "slowest scrolling ever" to select the MIDI channel I need to go to.

So for example I have my "Winds" instance and "Winds 2" but in my outputs I have:

Winds: 01
Winds: 02
Winds: 03
etc. all the way to 8, then repeat ad nauseum for Winds 2 and every single instrument.

I only need one channel and the 16 channels within it for each section. Does anyone know how to get rid of the others and improve my life? I've checked in bundles but there's nothing there so I don't think that's right OR (entirely possible) I am a dingbat and keep glossing over a solution.

Any help is super appreciated!

Here's what it looks like:
Why
Why
Outputs.jpg (364.35 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Removing excessive outputs?

Post by bayswater »

Something I picked up from FM; go to the Bundles window and give useful names to the outputs you want to use, and drag these to the top of the list. Add some ‘dummy’ bundles that point to an output you won’t ever use, and give these names of categories of bundles, and then drag the bundles under the categories. You might end up with something like this;

*** Cello Outputs
Cello 1
Cello 2
*** Flugel Horn Outputs
High FlHor
Low FlHorn

Those should then appear at the top of the list of available outputs when you choose them in the various windows.

Note you can also save bundle sets, and import them. Also note the difference between import versus import and replace
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

I'm not sure what's happening but none of these are listed so I can't drag them anywhere. I don't know if this is a VEP thing or a consequence of being on Windows but there aren't any outputs, busses, or instrument channels for these. I have generic busses but none of the instruments
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Have you created bundles, or are you just using whatever pops up in the menus?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

Blank
Blank
Bundles.png (15.17 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
After adding they aren't able to be edited
After adding they aren't able to be edited
Instrument Bundles.png (19.79 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
It's whatever pops up, when I create instrument bundles they're not editable or anything, I'm sure I've done something wrong but I can't figure it out. Everything I've looked up about creating bundles makes it look super useful and easy but I can't seem to make it work :deadhorse:
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

In the OP it looks like you're referencing VI MIDI track outputs. In your latest post you're referencing VI audio outs. Re the OP, what VIs are you using?
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

I'm using a bunch of VI's through a Vienna Ensemble Pro Server, all my VI's are Kontakt or Play but it's all through the VEP MAS plugin. I don't know if this is an issue with what VEP is sending to DP or what but bundles isn't seeming like the right solution for the endless scrolling
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

TimCox wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:25 pm I'm using a bunch of VI's through a Vienna Ensemble Pro Server, all my VI's are Kontakt or Play but it's all through the VEP MAS plugin. I don't know if this is an issue with what VEP is sending to DP or what but bundles isn't seeming like the right solution for the endless scrolling
My guess is that you have your VEP server set for 8 MIDI ports. That would give you 8 ports (with 16 channels each) per instance. What you appear to be wanting is to take that down to one port per instance. Complex setups are complex, so I don't know what the repercussions would be across your entire setup. If you change it to one, a good backup would be in order before pulling the trigger.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

My guess is that you have your VEP server set for 8 MIDI ports. That would give you 8 ports (with 16 channels each) per instance. What you appear to be wanting is to take that down to one port per instance. Complex setups are complex, so I don't know what the repercussions would be across your entire setup. If you change it to one, a good backup would be in order before pulling the trigger.
That's it! Thank you so much