16A long startup time?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Dogsmell
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

16A long startup time?

Post by Dogsmell »

I just got a second-hand 16A, as they've been on backorder for years now. It's a great interface, but it takes at least a full minute to boot up. Is this normal behavior?
HCMarkus

Re: 16A long startup time?

Post by HCMarkus »

I have an 828ES; boot time is significant... I have't timed it, but it might be minute or close to it.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Yeh. They take a while to start.

If you notice the time getting longer, or the process restarting/rebooting before eventually coming on line, you likely have capacitors that need replacing. At least that was the case in two of the 16As I’ve had. Should not be too difficult or that expensive if you have a good shop nearby.

Also, they run really hot. I learned the hard way that if you don’t want to eventually develop capacitor problems, leave some space on both sides of it in your rack. (I have a half space on each side of my units.) If you can’t do that, be sure to shut it down when not needed.

They are great units though. A lot of bang for the buck IMHO.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Although I've had no issues with my 828ES, I keep a spare power supply on hand.
Replacement power supplies are $30 from MOTU direct.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31