Can't get DP to record MIDI CC data from my keyboard controller

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
phaser74
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Can't get DP to record MIDI CC data from my keyboard controller

Post by phaser74 »

Hello all...

I'm a relative newcomer to using virtual instruments and controlling them with MIDI keyboard controllers and so forth. Regarding this topic, I've figured out quite a bit on my own, but just can't seem to figure out how to get DP to record CC data. Also, I'm not sure if I'm using the correct jargon for all of this, so please correct me if I'm using the wrong lingo.

That said, I know how to assign various faders/knobs on my MIDI keyboard to control various parameters (i.e. attack, sustain, resonance, cutoff, etc.) BUT how do I get DP to record the CC data (I think that's what it's called?) in real-time?

For instance, I assigned the mod wheel on my MIDI keyboard to control the filter resonance on the Bassline plugin. When I used MIDI learn to do this, I simply right clicked the the filter knob and then moved the mod wheel (and then DP or the Motu interface automatically assigned it controller 12). And so, at this point, I can hear the resonance changing when I move the mod wheel, but when I record a passage using the mod wheel, I don't hear the resonance changes when I play back the recorded sequence. The mod wheel CC data is not being recorded, just the notes that I played.

So my question is, how do I set up DP to record the CC Data from the various knobs/faders that I've assigned to control things like LFO's and resonance sweeps?

Thank you for your time,
David
2018 Mac mini, 3.2GHz i7, 32GB Ram, OS 10.15.7, DP 10.13, Motu 828mk3 FW.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can't get DP to record MIDI CC data from my keyboard controller

Post by stubbsonic »

There's a couple things to check. But the fact that you've gotten MIDI CC out of your keyboard and into DP is half the battle.

Check to see if there's an input filter on. Go to the Setup pulldown menu and choose "Input Filter..." If you're confident about what you need and don't need, you can check boxes to turn off what is recorded. Or, you can click on "Set All" on the lower left. I think that's a fairly save selection even though some of those will never get sent to DP in the first place. For example. I have a keyboard that transmits aftertouch (mono pressure) too easily so I often turn that off.

Another thing is to check the view filter. Go to the View pulldown menu and select "Filters..." This let's you select what data you'll see in any of the editors.

And finally, make sure your VI (Instrument Track) is receiving from the MIDI track itself, and not directly from your controller. In other words, the MIDI output of your keyboard is sent to the MIDI track, the MIDI track is sent to the VI. Do this by choosing the VI on the MIDI track's output assignment.

That's all I can think of.

Let us know what you figure out.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

phaser74 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:06 pm For instance, I assigned the mod wheel on my MIDI keyboard to control the filter resonance on the Bassline plugin. When I used MIDI learn to do this, I simply right clicked the the filter knob and then moved the mod wheel (and then DP or the Motu interface automatically assigned it controller 12).
If you're using the mod wheel with MIDI learn, it should have put cc01 as the controller, not cc12. Most keyboard controllers output cc01 with the mod wheel, it's kind of an industry standard. What is your controller?

Also, whether or not you are in multi-record can change things. If you determine that you are indeed recording cc but it's not playing back, select the entire MIDI track, go to Region>Change MIDI channel and change the channel to 1. Might not do anything but it's worth a try, and if it did work it would tell us everything. Good luck!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
ng62gn

Post by ng62gn »

Make sure 'Automation Playback' (Mixing Board / Seq Editor) is enabled.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

ng62gn wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:52 am Make sure 'Automation Playback' (Mixing Board / Seq Editor) is enabled.
Automation Record/Playback are only related to DP mixer moves, like faders, mutes, aux sends-- and not related to CC's recorded in MIDI tracks. FWIW, I've never bothered turning on "automation playback" when using CC's in MIDI tracks or the VI's MIDI track (now a thing)- and they continue to work.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

ng62gn

Post by ng62gn »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:52 am
ng62gn wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:52 am Make sure 'Automation Playback' (Mixing Board / Seq Editor) is enabled.
Automation Record/Playback are only related to DP mixer moves, like faders, mutes, aux sends-- and not related to CC's recorded in MIDI tracks. FWIW, I've never bothered turning on "automation playback" when using CC's in MIDI tracks or the VI's MIDI track (now a thing)- and they continue to work.
True, it's only related to Volume, Pan, Mute in MIDI tracks.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

ng62gn wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:34 am
Ah! So DP records CC7 (volume) and CC10 (pan) when you do fader and pan moves, and for Mutes it records something specific to DP (?). But turning off automation effectively filters CC7 & CC10-- even if it allows all the other CC's through. Am I understanding that the right way?

ng62gn

Post by ng62gn »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:42 pm
ng62gn wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:34 am

Ah! So DP records CC7 (volume) and CC10 (pan) when you do fader and pan moves, and for Mutes it records something specific to DP (?). But turning off automation effectively filters CC7 & CC10-- even if it allows all the other CC's through. Am I understanding that the right way?
Yes. 'Automation Play' & 'Record' toggle on/off the settings in: Setup > Automation Setup. You can config it per track too. I keep 'Automation Play' always ON, specially in a mix of a large score when automating CC7 with CC11, Pan or/and have a VCA grouping etc...

— There's/was also a kind of a bug with MIDI volume - not correct - when reopening a file, so the workaround was/is to put CC7 automation on the fader. In that case the Automation Play button needs to be enabled...
phaser74

Post by phaser74 »

Hi Stubbsonic.

Thank you for giving me some things to try to solve the CC data problem. I tried everything you mentioned, but no luck. That said, I'm considering buying a new MIDI keyboard controller that has aftertouch, and so I now know how to turn off aftertouch (if need be) by going to Setup and then Input Filter. Cool.

Best, David.
phaser74

Post by phaser74 »

Hello, Killahurts. Thank you for giving me some possible solutions.
If you're using the mod wheel with MIDI learn, it should have put cc01 as the controller, not cc12. Most keyboard controllers output cc01 with the mod wheel, it's kind of an industry standard. What is your controller?
I’m currently using a Yamaha CS2x Synthesizer (a sample-based synthesizer released by Yamaha in 1999). It’s obviously not a dedicated MIDI controller, but to my understanding it should work just fine as a controller… but maybe I’m wrong about that? But yeah, when I use MIDI learn and then move the mod wheel, it gets assigned controller 12 instead of 1. I don’t know why.
Also, whether or not you are in multi-record can change things.
I found Multi Record under Studio and it was not checked, so I wasn’t in multi-record mode. I switched to Multi Record mode, but this didn’t help with the CC Data.
If you determine that you are indeed recording cc but it's not playing back, select the entire MIDI track, go to Region>Change MIDI channel and change the channel to 1.
Well, I can tell you that DP is in fact recording CC Data from the Pitch wheel. I can see the data being drawn in when I use the Pitch Bend wheel (while recording) and I can hear the pitch changes when I playback the sequence after recording it. But DP is not recording the other types of CC data (e.g. filter cuttoff) that I know the mod wheel is affecting (since I can hear it).

Also, I don’t see how to change MIDI channel under Region? There’s no option for that. That said, I’m pretty sure I’m already on MIDI channel 1. When I open the MIDI Monitor, I see my 828 mk3 and the 828 mk3 MIDI Port blinks 1 when I press a key on the MIDI controller.

Best, David.
phaser74

Post by phaser74 »

Continuing on further with all of this... I've been trying all sorts of things to try to get DP to record CC data, but still no luck. Only pitch data is being recorded, but nothing else. Does anybody think the problem may be that I'm using a Yamaha cs2x as my MIDI keyboard controller? It's from 1999 and so maybe it's too old :lol: I'm going to take a look at the user manual and perhaps that may help. Maybe the keyboard is in the wrong mode or something.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Go grab this lil mac app. It’ll show what your computer is getting from your controller.

https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/

If you’re still stuck, p.m. me and we can figure it out.

phaser74

Post by phaser74 »

Hi stubbsonic,

Thank you for letting me know about this app and that you would work with me if I couldn't figure things out. I appreciate that. That said, I figured out how to get DP to record CC data :D

I did this by bypassing the MIDI Learn function altogether. And now DP is recording the CC Data. For some reason, when I was clicking on MIDI Learn and then making the controller assignment, the CC Data wasn't recording (I'm talking things like LFO's, Resonance, Filters, etc.) But when I go straight to creating the controller assignment without clicking on MIDI Learn, everything works fine. I'm not sure why this is the case - it doesn't make sense to me (and I get the feeling that I'm still not doing something in the correct fashion).

But anyway, when I bypass MIDI Learn, the recorded CC data shows up in the Instrument track lanes and not in the MIDI track lanes (but now that I think about it, that makes sense that it would be that way). There are still some things for me to learn about all of this, but like I said, I think I solved the main issue I was having :D
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think I know why. MIDI LEARN is kind of a temporary "assign" mode that you would invoke, then link the MIDI controller to the parameter, then be done with. While MIDI learn is activated, the VI might be temporarily blocking the CC from getting anywhere else. Makes sense.

Think of it this way:

1. I want to link a CC to a parameter.
2. I click MIDI learn, wiggle the controller to send the CC, the VI creates the link.
3. I end the MIDI learn mode, now that the link is established.
4. I record the CC, play back the track, and all is well.