Latency Issue on M1 Ultra Mac Studio

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Latency Issue on M1 Ultra Mac Studio

Post by HCMarkus »

greg328 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:18 pm HC yes--you are correct--there is a way to monitor through UA Console--totally bypassing DP--I used to do it several years ago but forgot how! I'm going to explore that method again.

Still--it's frustrating that latency rears its ugly head in the most inopportune moments. I need to get the latency-free monitoring via UA Console up and running again.

You have a similar Mac to mine, correct? You've never experienced crippling latency when recording VIs or mic source material? Even at small buffers--which I understand the powerful new M1 Macs don't even require-?

I relate all this back to my previous MacPro 5.1 3.3ghz machine which, although old, never presented this latency issue!

Greg
I do have a similar computer. I never monitor audio recording thru DP, but do a lot of VI work. Have never experienced VI latency as you describe.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Count your blessings my friend.

I also experienced it in Logic 10 recently, built a session in that DAW to see if the problem would present itself there. It did. So there’s some system-wide anomaly going on-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

greg328 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:48 pm Count your blessings my friend.

I also experienced it in Logic 10 recently, built a session in that DAW to see if the problem would present itself there. It did. So there’s some system-wide anomaly going on-

Now THAT's interesting. I'm thinking Audio Driver or Look-Ahead Plugin. Good luck getting it sorted!
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Look-ahead plug-in, these are plug-ins that induce more cpu overhead because they have to “look-ahead” and prepare to be able to process incoming data, thereby causing latency, correct?

Typically, what plug-in types are look-ahead? Is there a workaround, other than monitoring outside of the host DAW?

Greg

Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

greg328 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:37 am Look-ahead plug-in, these are plug-ins that induce more cpu overhead because they have to “look-ahead” and prepare to be able to process incoming data, thereby causing latency, correct?

Typically, what plug-in types are look-ahead? Is there a workaround, other than monitoring outside of the host DAW?

Greg

With Look-Ahead, we are typically talking limiters and other mastering processes. However, due to the fact the latency only occurs for you when you route a track to your FX plugin auxes, I'd look there first.

Work around is to Clear Plugins in the offending tracks (right click master (top) plugin slot. You can Restore Plugins after you are done tracking.

Or use different plugins that don't look ahead.