828 mk3 not connecting to Mac Studio M1 Ultra

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
TheRepeater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 mk3 not connecting to Mac Studio M1 Ultra

Post by TheRepeater »

I've had the Mac Studio over a year. M1 Ultra. Ventura 13.4.1. 128 GB RAM.
Recently bought the MOTU 828 mk3 Hybrid FW-USB2. I assume firmware is up to date, but do not know as I cannot connect to the device, and could not install firmware anyway as the installers won't run on the Mac Studio.
I repeat the Mac Studio does not see the 828 at all, although the driver installation software does appear to have run.
Here's what I have tried. All the instructions on MOTU's site.
I did not get the alert to allow the installation in the Privacy and Security panel. I looked there anyway, but the was no reference to the MOTU on stallion, and therefore no Allow button.
After several tries I used the Terminal.app. I am no expert at this but am reasonably confident in using other people’s suggestions.
At some point one this process I got this result in the System report:

MOTUFireWireAudio:

Version: 1.6 89555
Last Modified: 28/9/2021, 5:58 am
Bundle ID: com.motu.driver.FireWireAudio
Notarised: Yes
Loaded: Yes
Get Info String: MOTUFireWireAudio.kext 1.6 89555, Copyright © 2019, Mark of the Unicorn, Inc. All rights reserved.
Obtained from: Identified Developer
Kind: Universal
Architectures: arm64e, x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Kext Version: 1.6 89555
Load Address: 0
Loadable: Yes
Dependencies: Deprecated
Signed by: Developer ID Application: MOTU (KRCLLMGZ2D), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA
MOTUMicroBookAudio:

Version: 1.6. 89555
Last Modified: 28/9/2021, 5:58 am
Bundle ID: com.motu.driver.MicroBookAudio
Notarised: Yes
Loaded: No
Get Info String: MOTUMicroBookAudio.kext 1.6. 89555, Copyright © 2019, MOTU, Inc. All rights reserved.
Obtained from: Identified Developer
Kind: Universal
Architectures: arm64e, x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Kext Version: 1.6. 89555
Loadable: Yes
Dependencies: Deprecated
Signed by: Developer ID Application: MOTU (KRCLLMGZ2D), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

I disabled SIP, using csrutil disable in Recovery Mode.
I tried
sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/MOTUMicroBookAudio.kext
which gave me this response.
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load --bundle-path /Library/Extensions/MOTUMicroBookAudio.kext
I also tried
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/MOTUMicroBookAudio.kext
and
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
all to no avail, although somewhere in there System Report indicated that the kext had been loaded. But I still got a more or less blank MOTU Audio Setup.app window and no device showing in the Mac Audio MIDI Setup.app, nor in Logic Pro’s settings.

No matter what I have tries I still get a blank MOTU Audio Setup.app. Can anyone point to anything I have missed?
mikehalloran

Re: 828 mk3 not connecting to Mac Studio M1 Ultra

Post by mikehalloran »

I did not get the alert to allow the installation in the Privacy and Security panel. I looked there anyway, but the was no reference to the MOTU on stallion, and therefore no Allow button.
This must be done within 30 minutes of installing the drivers. Sometimes, a reboot is necessary first before it shows up. If you missed the window, reinstall the driver and try again. Make sure it is this one and not the Pro Audio driver.
Driver

MOTU Audio Installer Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
Supports macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11
The windows and names are laid out differently in Ventura. (System Preferences in now System Settings for starters). Unfortunately, MOTU only publishes the bulletin that's correct for High Sierra–Monterey. If you're familiar enough with the MacOS, you'll figure out where to find things in Ventura but MOTU should update the bulletin. Worst case, you may have to call them for help.

The correct firmware is 1.01 and should show up for a moment when starting your 828. If your unit was built after 2012, it will be correct; only if built earlier should you need a firmware update,

Your USB cable must support USB 2. If the specs do not include 480KB/s or 480Mbps, it doesn't and it won't work (most Thunderbolt 3 cables do not, for example). This is a big problem in offices which is why you can buy USB Printer cables that only support USB 2. These come in all configurations including the USB-B to USB-C cable ends that you need.
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Pr ... r_1_1_sspa
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
TheRepeater

Post by TheRepeater »

>>I did not get the alert to allow the installation in the Privacy and Security panel. I looked there anyway, but the was no reference to the MOTU on stallion, and therefore no Allow button.
>This must be done within 30 minutes of installing the drivers. Sometimes, a reboot is necessary first before it shows up. If you missed the window, reinstall the driver and try again. Make sure it is this one and not the Pro Audio driver.

I have done this many times now, always within a few minutes.

>The windows and names are laid out differently in Ventura.

I am familiar with the differences, but usually can do the required permissions. They are just not being offered. I am using their right driver, and I have changed basic permissions after the restart with power held down etc.

> I have now spoken to MOTU, who sent me a script to run that appears to delete anything MOTU previously installed. They said to double click on the link to script and it would run. In fact it opens Xcode.app, but there is no way to know whether it has run anything. either way, it makes no difference. I tried running the script from Terminal.app, and it runs but also reports quite a few errors. I sent that information to MOTU a couple of weeks ago, but they have not yet responded.

>The correct firmware is 1.01 and should show up for a moment when starting your 828. If your unit was built after 2012, it will be correct; only if built earlier should you need a firmware update,

The panel lights up, but shows no text to numbers, not even for a moment.

>Your USB cable must support USB 2. If the specs do not include 480KB/s or 480Mbps, it doesn't and it won't work (most Thunderbolt 3 cables do not, for example).

I have tried Fiewire with Apple's appropriate Thunderbolt adaptors, and USB. I am sure my cables are USB 2, but to be sure I bought the one you suggested. No difference.

My next step is to see if I can run the device on an older Mac. I may ask least be able to check the firmware then, although I am not entirely sure that my initial problem (ie the driver does not seem to be loading) is at all hardware dependent.

I am wondering if other audio software and drivers are preventing the MOTU ones from working. Were I not mid-project, I would try a clean install of the OS, and try installing the MOTU drivers before any other audio software.

Thanks for your suggestions so far though.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The panel lights up, but shows no text to numbers, not even for a moment.
Your 828 has a problem.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
TheRepeater

Post by TheRepeater »

Can anything be done?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

TheRepeater wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:12 pm Can anything be done?
Not sure how old it is? Contact MOTU perhaps? There was a time when they would swap you out with a refurb at a decent price, but they may not be doing that any more.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

TheRepeater wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:12 pm Can anything be done?
Of course! But "anything" is a very broad term.

If you bought the device new, send it back and get another one. It gets more complicated if you bought it used. You could open it up and look for burned or bulging parts, but the possibilities are numerous and might be difficult to sort out if you are not extremely tech savvy.

Good luck; hope you can get it working.
TheRepeater

Post by TheRepeater »

Thanks for your time. I might have to try to take it back to the friend who sold it to me, and convince him that it was like that from the start. He says it was working.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here is the factory reset. Can you do this?
828x / 828mk3 Hybrid / 828mk3 FW: Press the Param/Setup knob until the LCD screen reads "828X SETUP" (or equivalent). The LCD screen will quickly flash to "LCD CONTRAST". Turn the Param/Setup knob all the way to the right. The LCD screen will read: "Factory Defaults Press [Value]". Push the Value knob. The LCD screen will display "Are you sure? Push [VALUE]". Push the Value knob again to confirm. The LCD screen will read: "Initializing...". The clock LED will flash when reset is complete.