Running an MTP AV USB with Apple Silicon- how to set it up - RESOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Running an MTP AV USB with Apple Silicon- how to set it up - RESOLVED

Post by rosindabow »

Hi all,
I am trying to set up my ancient MTP AV USB with my new Mac Pro. I have opened up Audio MIDI Setup but the MTP AV is not there. How can I get this going? I am pretty sure that there is no longer any compatible MOTU software (like Clockworks).
Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
cuttime

Re: Running an MTP AV USB with Apple Silicon- how to set it up

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rosindabow wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:20 pm Hi all,
I am trying to set up my ancient MTP AV USB with my new Mac Pro. I have opened up Audio MIDI Setup but the MTP AV is not there. How can I get this going? I am pretty sure that there is no longer any compatible MOTU software (like Clockworks).
Thanks.
Do not yet abandon hope. I got mine working fine. I'm not using it now because I overreacted when I was getting some spurious sysex and bought a MIDI Express XT, but in hindsight I didn't need to and I'm holding on to my MTP/AV as a backup should I decided to add on to my "nostalgia rack" of ancient hardware synth modules.

Here's a thread here about how I got it working:
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72484

Keep in mind, pretty sure you will need to be sure you have the latest ROM and USB chip installed. I don't remember the versions, but if you were using it successfully in the past on an Intel Mac, you may be okay. Give it a try.

The only thing I recall from when I was using the MTP/AV (the new Clockworks app was able to *see* it as far as I remember), was that certain things like muting sysex on certain cables/channels in Clockworks didn't seem to "stick."
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Hi all, MOTU got back to me and sent me a link to this download: https://motu.com/en-us/download-center/download/548 It worked perfectly! My MTP AV USB showed right up in both the Audio MIDI setup and in DP 11. To me, I consider this solved!
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Running an MTP AV USB with Apple Silicon- how to set it up - RESOLVED

Post by James Steele »

rosindabow wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:39 am Hi all, MOTU got back to me and sent me a link to this download: https://motu.com/en-us/download-center/download/548 It worked perfectly! My MTP AV USB showed right up in both the Audio MIDI setup and in DP 11. To me, I consider this solved!
Excellent!! I just checked and that's the same download you would have downloaded per my instructions in the thread I linked to.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!