Royalty-free houses & PROs

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Royalty-free houses & PROs

Post by mikehalloran »

dix wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:15 pm Digging up this old thread to to see if anyone has messed with putting music on Pond5, AudioJungle lately. I think the models may have changed since this thread started. It looks like Pond5, at least, sells "non-PRO tracks", as well as PRO registered tracks now (see link). Anyone have any experience with Pond5, or any of these libraries? I have a large stockpile of existing material I own out right that I'm thinking of trying to exploit

https://help.pond5.com/hc/en-us/article ... string=pro
In recent years, the industry has tried to ram this 'non-PRO' bullsh•• down everybody's throat. The excuse has been to save the poor, ailing broadcast industry but the real reason is so that streaming services won't have to pay. Largely, they've succeeded with more and more composers being told that, in order to get the gig, their works cannot be properly registered.

Does anyone know what the WGA Writers' Strike is about? It's this: After watching the composers get screwed, the industry now wants to do it to the writers. The trigger was when HBO changed the name of their streaming service from HBO Max to Max. It turns out that many writers who got paid for HBO Max do not get moneys when their work shows up on Max. The breakdown in "talks" was no coincidence.

After memos were leaked yesterday that big cable et al intend to wait till the writers run out of money this fall, the Actors announced that they intend to go on strike, too. The real reason is the same no matter the PR spin put on it.

The composers, for the most part, are already screwed. It's like AFM competing with the we'll play for $20, beer & pizza crowd for local gigs (you get $20? a colleague from Utah asked me 35 years ago). The last ASCAP strike happened in the late 1930s and ended with the creation of BMI and the Consent Decrees — it's not likely to happen again anytime soon.

I've planned a couple of get-togethers with Mr. Mortilla (MIDI Life Crisis) this summer. It will be interesting to hear his take on this situation ten years later.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mike you got that right. People here that would usually be on sets are doing volunteer work. Too bad after all the attention on piracy, we see some of the “legit” distributors are no better.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:42 pm Mike you got that right. People here that would usually be on sets are doing volunteer work. Too bad after all the attention on piracy, we see some of the “legit” distributors are no better.
I have a friend who is/was a screenwriter. He's written screenplays for movies you probably would have heard of. He found it increasingly difficult to get work. I'd say more about why, but it would devolve far too quickly into politics which is verboten here! :D
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:17 pmI've planned a couple of get-togethers with Mr. Mortilla (MIDI Life Crisis) this summer. It will be interesting to hear his take on this situation ten years later.
Please give Mike my regards... we miss him here!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:17 pmI've planned a couple of get-togethers with Mr. Mortilla (MIDI Life Crisis) this summer. It will be interesting to hear his take on this situation ten years later.
Indeed. Would be good to see him around here again!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:28 pm
HCMarkus wrote:
Indeed. Would be good to see him around here again!
Agreed!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

Bumping this incase anyone has had any success with music libraries. Thx
HCMarkus wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:20 pm Deals vary. I have some pieces in a middle eastern library with which I can do anything but library. I have pieces with libraries that have complete control. I have songs in a non exclusive library. Different strokes…

Definitely very competitive these days. And here comes AI.
In another slow period, so I'm again investigating this. Can you recommend any libraries that you've had success with HC?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dix wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:58 am Bumping this incase anyone has had any success with music libraries. Thx
HCMarkus wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:20 pm Deals vary. I have some pieces in a middle eastern library with which I can do anything but library. I have pieces with libraries that have complete control. I have songs in a non exclusive library. Different strokes…

Definitely very competitive these days. And here comes AI.
In another slow period, so I'm again investigating this. Can you recommend any libraries that you've had success with HC?
PM Sent