Pop Goes the Weasel, But Not the Microphone!

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Pop Goes the Weasel, But Not the Microphone!

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Mike Halloran wrote: "I have a couple of AKG C535EBs where the rubber inside the grille is rotted away—the resulting crud blocks sound and makes these useless. Removing the foam and using cheapo SM58 windsocks over the grilles brought them back to life but I never intended that to be a permanent solution. So I special ordered a couple of (damned expensive) AKG rebuild kits for these and received them just last week. I have already found 1/2" thick sheets of this aqua filter media."

Not to brag, Mike, but AKG customer service was INCREDIBLY generous to me a couple of years ago: I had 2 AKG headset mics which I had rewired to plug into wireless transmitters for use in our live shows. After we retired from the road and I started recording at home again, I tried to solder new XLR plugs onto the cables to use them as I originally purchased them. I plugged each of them into my MOTU 828 interface with phantom power on and fried the mic capsules because I didn't know the original XLR plugs that came with the mics had a circuit to convert 48v phantom power to 9v.

I contacted AKG customer service to see if I could purchase just the original XLR plugs. They explained my mistake and why I needed a whole new capsule. They said they had them in their warehouse in Austria, but it might take them a month to figure out what to charge me since it wasn't in "the system". So, they just shipped me two complementary (free!) replacement capsules complete with gooseneck, cable and correct XLR connection. I was blown away when I received them as I didn't realize they were sending so much and I had no warrantee coverage! It only took me 5 minutes to remove the old components and put the new ones on the headsets, which hang from the ears.

The story gets better for me! My wife has early-onset dementia and I wanted to try to record her singing again. She has to sit in her rocking recliner in the living room and I knew keeping my regular studio mic positioned right could be a nightmare since it's a 30-second walk from my control room. I needed to close-mic to minimize room & neighborhood (& pet) noise, yet she fidgets. I ended up using the headset mic on her and found it worked incredibly well! Takes from all different recording session matched because of the ease of keeping a close, consistent mic position.

Then I decided to try it on my own vocals. I discovered I get better results than I did with my old AKG C414 because of the consistent mic positioning. I can even move around if I really feel the groove and the mic follows me! So I really want to thank AKG customer service for their incredible generosity and kindness! They really helped me move forward on recording my 3-year "labor of love"! Sorry, they must have used up all their generosity on me or they finally got "the system" working so they could charge you so much, Mike :D

Doug
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Good to read stories like this, Was this before or after Samsung bought Harmon International?

I had sent an email to AKG but never got a response. I found the rebuild kits at Full Compass.
Attachments
$59.75 Full Compass.jpg
$59.75 Full Compass.jpg (259.02 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

I'm not sure of the date, Mike. I think it was about 2 and a half years ago. And now that I think about it, I may have been talking to Tech Support, not Customer Service. And now it's coming back to me that they said the microphone components were in a warehouse in Hungary, not Austria.

Doug
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I got a text last night offering me a one minute voice over gig but I needed to put a rush on it. The copy was about 90% so no problem—except…

I had my favorite 87 clone set up for a guitar session that is going to finish tomorrow. Problem is that my voice sounds strident through anything resembling an 87. Those who have met me know that, since 2009, I don't get around so well with half my body paralyzed from a stroke. For me to tear down and set up my TLM193, then tear that down for the Saturday guitar session one handed sucks all the fun out of what should take less than 15 minutes from editing the copy to final delivery. So I decided to knock this out with the 87.

Unfortunately, my VO technique requires a pop stopper and all were in a cabinet were across the room. I had some of that aqua filter media in a desk drawer and figured I'd attach with a rubber band. I stuck a square in the suspension mount and when I went looking for the right sized band, it didn't fall out. I was done in 10 minutes or so and delivered the project about an hour and a half later.
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 11.44.04 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 11.44.04 AM.png (3.09 MiB) Viewed 2265 times
I'm a big fan of that polyester aqua "bio filter" media used in the $99 Hakan and the $20 version on Amazon. Not only does it stop my 'plosives completely but it's the most acoustically transparent media I've ever used for this purpose. That it doesn't rot with age and washes easily is icing on the cake.

I suppose that, had I given two seconds of thought to it, I would have done this instead.
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 11.44.44 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 11.44.44 AM.png (2.57 MiB) Viewed 2265 times
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Guerrilla Popper Stopper. Love it!
ed belknap

Post by ed belknap »

Doesn't anybody use the pencil trick for plosives anymore?

:shrugs:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ed belknap wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:00 pm Doesn't anybody use the pencil trick for plosives anymore?

:shrugs:
There's a blast from the past (pardon the pun). I remember that from the 1960s but it didn't work that well to begin with.

Who's going to tell a client to hold a pencil in front of his/her mouth while concentrating on words/music/vocal delivery/phrasing and a half dozen other things?

As Bobby Zimmerman wrote, "It ain't me, Babe. I said, 'No, no, no, it ain't me, Babe…'"
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Would that be a number two pencil or a mechanical pencil? :lol:
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
ed belknap

Post by ed belknap »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:30 pmWho's going to tell a client to hold a pencil in front of his/her mouth while concentrating on words/music/vocal delivery/phrasing and a half dozen other things?
"Hold"?!?!

We always just attached the pencil to the body of the mic with blue painter's tape.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ed belknap wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:17 am
mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:30 pmWho's going to tell a client to hold a pencil in front of his/her mouth while concentrating on words/music/vocal delivery/phrasing and a half dozen other things?
"Hold"?!?!

We always just attached the pencil to the body of the mic with blue painter's tape.
Knock yourself out. I'll pass.