Best CD making Program

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

funkyfreddy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best CD making Program

Post by funkyfreddy »

It's been a while since I mastered a music CD with crossfades between tracks, etc.

I used to use BIAS Peak for this but the computer Peak was installed on has bit the dust.

What program would you recommend nowadays to create decent music CDs?
Thanks, Fred
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
mikehalloran

Re: Best CD making Program

Post by mikehalloran »

funkyfreddy wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:24 am It's been a while since I mastered a music CD with crossfades between tracks, etc.

I used to use BIAS Peak for this but the computer Peak was installed on has bit the dust.

What program would you recommend nowadays to create decent music CDs?
Thanks, Fred
I presume you are talking about mastering to Orange Book standards.
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/a ... erlist-cd/

There are a few programs out there still. I use DSP Quattro (Mac only)
https://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattro/Site/

Besides being the least expensive that I know, Stefano does or used to offer a discount for BIAS Peak owners (I took advantage of that a decade ago). Don’t know if still available but it never hurts to ask.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It's been a while since I've used DSP Quattro to burn a proper CD for commercial release, but it has all the tools. I have the current version and it still has the full CD creation section.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think DSP-Q comes in different editions now that do different things.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:03 pm I think DSP-Q comes in different editions now that do different things.
The do indeed!

It definitely bears some research because cursory examination of the website shows they now have three different products:

• The regular DSP Quattro we're used to up till now
DSP-AudioEditor
DSP-AudioCDBuilder

My guess is that DSP-Quattro is the full featured and probably more expensive app that covers all the bases and the other apps are less expensive apps with a subset of specialized features appropriate to a specific task. YMMV
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:26 pm
My guess is that DSP-Quattro is the full featured and probably more expensive app that covers all the bases and the other apps are less expensive apps with a subset of specialized features appropriate to a specific task. YMMV
That is correct. DSP-Q includes the feature sets of both others. Here's the manual
https://www.dsp-quattro.com/FreeDownloa ... Manual.pdf

It looks like Audio Editor is trying to take on TwistedWave at half the price (but without the latest AV functionality). Although I prefer the cleaner interface of TW, this will do just about everything one needs incl. time/pitch and batch file conversion, all except CD Mastering. Here's the User Manual.

Audio CD Builder will allow you to build and burn Red Book compliant CDs (Orange Book is a superset that includes Red Book and Data CDs). Again, the User Manual.

I've mastered enough CDs so that the idea of having an audio editor bundled is quite appealing to me—even though I prefer TW when I want a stand-alone editor or batch file converter.

Which brings up Roxio's Toast. Yes, it does Orange Book (Red Book + Data CDs) but there's no audio editor. Neither is there a graphic interface that gives you a decent overall picture of exactly what's going on when Mastering. I mastered one CD in Toast after BIAS Peak went south on me but before I discovered DSP-Q and swore never again. OTOH, it's great for AV and Video DVD mastering as well as Data CDs and duplication of any of these.

TwistedWave is the opposite—great for editing and prep but you can't burn CDs from the app.

I have current licenses for DSP-Q, TwistedWave and Toast.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:43 pmIt looks like Audio Editor is trying to take on TwistedWave at half the price (but without the latest AV functionality). Although I prefer the cleaner interface of TW, this will do just about everything one needs incl. time/pitch and batch file conversion, all except CD Mastering.
Rats! There's one thing it doesn't do that I would still need from time to time: saving audio in Ogg Vorbis format. Occasionally I hack together NKS support files for third-party VIs that don't come with it, and that seems to be the format the audio previews require. I'll be keeping Twisted Wave v.28 around for that as long as it will work. I'm probably going to pass on the subscription model the developer is introducing with version 29.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

I think some of us will find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0wTMZKN3dU
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:26 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:43 pmIt looks like Audio Editor is trying to take on TwistedWave at half the price (but without the latest AV functionality). Although I prefer the cleaner interface of TW, this will do just about everything one needs incl. time/pitch and batch file conversion, all except CD Mastering.
Rats! There's one thing it doesn't do that I would still need from time to time: saving audio in Ogg Vorbis format. Occasionally I hack together NKS support files for third-party VIs that don't come with it, and that seems to be the format the audio previews require. I'll be keeping Twisted Wave v.28 around for that as long as it will work. I'm probably going to pass on the subscription model the developer is introducing with version 29.
Stefano sometimes finds threads where DSP-Quattro is mentioned. Perhaps he'll find this one. You could also ask him to add it to the list.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:32 pmStefano sometimes finds threads where DSP-Quattro is mentioned. Perhaps he'll find this one. You could also ask him to add it to the list.
Great idea! He actually incorporated one small change at my suggestion, albeit truly trivial. When you checked for if there were updates from within DSP-Quattro, if there was no update, the dialog would say "This is the last version available." Well, tagged on to the end of a suggestion which I don't think he implemented, was a smaller suggestion that he should maybe change it to "This is the most recent version available." English isn't his first language, but his English is infinitely better than my Italian so I explained the subtle difference and it was in the next update. LOL. And yeah... it was silly. Ogg Vorbis is a much better request! :D

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

After mixed results with Toast, I jumped with Hofa app : CD-Burn.DDP.Master
Very glad I did.
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/cd-burn-ddp-master
Last edited by daniel.sneed on Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

HOFA.

Everything you need for Mastering, PQ etc., client delivery, and DDP for replication. I've used it for final layup and CD plant delivery for 2 CDs so far.. I used to use the old Sonic Studio, before it bit the dust. It's the best out there for what it does, IMO, and it's not expensive for the pro solution it is.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.