Twisted Wave "twisting arms?"

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Twisted Wave "twisting arms?"

Post by James Steele »

Ha... I couldn't resist the clever play on words. Perhaps it's not a bad deal, but I recently launched Twisted Wave to be greeted by this dialog:

twistedwave.png
twistedwave.png (84.27 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

Looks like the author of Twisted Wave is going subscription starting with Version 29. I'm highly allergic to subscriptions. I haven't read all the details of the new system that he posted here...

https://twistedwave.com/new-upgrade-policy

... but my gut is saying that I might just let my license sit at version 28.x from here on out unless they build in some sort of compelling feature that is "must have" for me. Main thing I used it for was for saving .ogg files to create audio previews for home-brew NKS support libraries. Seems like whatever advance features that might be added might already be covered in other software I own.

We shall see. I know the subscription model is meant to create a more consistent revenue stream for developers, but as a consumer, I'm none too happy about it and very resistant to it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Re: Twisted Wave "twisting arms?"

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:23 pm I know the subscription model is meant to create a more consistent revenue stream for developers, but as a consumer, I'm none too happy about it and very resistant to it.
According to the video you posted in another thread, subscriptions are put in place in increase the value of the company to prospective investors, under a mistaken assumption that a “subscriber” is worth three “owners”. That would suggest Twisted Wave is looking for a buyer.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'll probably see what "new features and upgrades" happen before laying down that first $60. The update from 28.6 to 28.8 is allowing us to subscribe. I can hardly contain my excitement. :rofl: It's claiming new speech recognition and video editing capabilities but I have no idea if that's new in 29 or in a previous release—don't need either at the moment.

Perhaps Thomas Thiriez is looking to retire. I don't know.

TwistedWave has become the DAW of choice for voice over artists on Mac. Though the iOS and Online versions do not have the same functionality, both are popular. Now that TW for Windows is out of beta, I expect it to become ubiquitous for VO work. Android users will continue to cry in their beer that yet another serious, professional app is unavailable to them but that is not my issue.

I see that current license holders are eligible for an immediate Level 3 discount. Sure the hell not paying $99.95 in The App Store.
Yearly billing Save 2 months
First year — US$99.90

Second year — US$79.90

Third year onward — US$59.90
At least it's not a full Subscription that goes away if you stop paying:
Perpetual Fallback License
A perpetual fallback license grants you access to a specific version of the software without an active subscription. It includes all bugfix updates within that version, more specifically in version X.Y all Y releases are included. Here's how it works:

Purchasing an annual subscription provides an immediate perpetual fallback license for the version available at the time.
Paying on a monthly basis grants a perpetual fallback license once you've paid for 12 consecutive months, giving you access to the version available when your 12-month subscription started. You'll receive perpetual fallback licenses for each version you've paid for 12 consecutive months.

Dislike subscriptions?
If you prefer not to subscribe, you have another option:

Pay for one year, and continue using TwistedWave indefinitely without the need for a subscription. You can re-subscribe at any time to regain access to updates.
Having bought it through Cult of Mac many years ago for $15, I'm not in a position to rant over this.

I use it mainly to decode FLAC and convert anything to mp3 or m4a Apple Lossless in a fraction of the time of DSP-Q which takes a fraction of the time that DP does. Like DSP-Q, TW can batch-convert multiple file types simultaneously and sort the results as I see fit.

In addition, I use Twisted Wave's ZTX implementation to stretch, compress and re-pitch audio files in a fraction of the time it takes for DP. I want that voiceover exactly 60 seconds? Done in less time than it took me to type that.

I rarely use the iOS version—Michael Mortilla gave us the heads up on that when first released as a freebie. It lacks much of the functionality but it loads audio files for playback much faster than iTunes/Apple Music and this comes in handy. It will be interesting to see if that is affected at all.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Interesting! I'm not familiar with the batch conversion features. I need to look into that. I got it probably at a very low price initially like you did. I had no idea it was so popular with the voiceover folks. I never attempted to record directly into it. It was the only audio editor I own that could save as ogg vorbis. Anyway, best of luck to him. Not sure I'm going to pony up for a subscription.

I also use Fission from time to time, but mainly for times where I want to do an audio edit to an MP3 file.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:34 pm Interesting! I'm not familiar with the batch conversion features. I need to look into that.
I've downloaded the 29.1 demo and, if I have the time this weekend, I will be testing the AV functionality of TwistedWave on my wife's recent community orchestra concert. The heavy lifting (cutaways, inserts) will be done in Premiere but I'll be seeing if TW can save time while I prepare a rough edit before dumping into Premiere or if it's redundant. I'll report back here when done.

Also on my list is a quick runthrough of TW's basic batch conversion and its sorting capabilities. I'll make a YouTube video but without music to avoid copyright flags. Watching what happens is ok fine, however.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro